From: "Steven Levine" <ecs-isp@2rosenthals.com> Full Headers
Undecoded message
Subject: Re: [eCS-ISP] Upload directory no longer betacat.dnsalias.org ?
Date: Sun, 22 Feb 2015 12:59:35 -0800

In <list-1113629@2rosenthals.com>, on 02/22/15
   at 01:28 PM, "Lewis Rosenthal" <ecs-isp@2rosenthals.com> said:

Hi,

>Well, there was an error in my crontab file (* 2 * * * vs 0 2 * * *),
>causing Hawking to poll every minute during the 2am hour (oops), though
>I doubt that would cause you to go over quota by itself (that
>fat-fingered typo had been in there for quite some time, apparently).

Actually it might have.  The high traffic occurred between the 3rd and the
15th so:

[d:\tmp]rexxtry say 5888485 * 60 * (15 - 3 + 1) / 1000 / 1000 'MB'

or

4593.0183 MB

I suspect you are probably only mirroring what you can see from
home.earthlink.net/~steve53, so you are not getting everything included in
the 5MB total.  If it was you, your mirror is about 2MB which is about
what is visible from index.html.

>Interesting stats.

All the expected info is available to the paid hosting sites.

>I also doubt that in the case of a bot, returning a
>redirected page is going to deter it; black holing the traffic would be
>a better approach for them.

I've long ago given up an advising ISPs on how to run their business.
Recall it's these same ISPs that block port 25 in the belief that it
actual prevents problems.

>g-d, save us from level 1 support!

I try to be kind.  They are really just non-gourmet burger flippers and
paid at much the same level.

Steven

"Steven Levine" <steve53@earthlink.net>  Warp/DIY/eComStation etc.
www.scoug.com