From: "Massimo S." <ecs-isp@2rosenthals.com> Full Headers
Undecoded message
Subject: Re: [eCS-ISP] Injoy FW 4.2.2 and download datarates (connection speed) the eternal mistery :)
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 2021 08:25:31 +0200

Il 17/06/2021 00:47, Steven Levine ha scritto:
    at 11:46 PM, "Massimo S." <ecs-isp@2rosenthals.com> said:

Hi Massimo,

"busy surviving" is not a justification

No, it's not.  It is a reason.  Roderick in not trying to justify
anything.  Let's just say Roderick's written English loses something in
the translation.

i've installed at a client's place IJ fw on a 3Ghz core I7 with 4GB of
ram, with SSD storage and i still have performances issues

This makes sense to me.  Nothing you have done will completely address the
perforance issues.

so i don't believe the stuff of ring0 and ring3

You can choose to believe what you want.  It's a free country.  With your
extensive developement skill and techincal knowledge of driver internals,
I'm sure you know exactly where the problems are.  I'm waiting for you to
explain to us how to solve then.

since if you play with the "intermediary parameters" of packet assembling
you get speed improvements

You said it yourself.  You get improvement.  However, you have yet to find
a set of intermediary parameters that provide you the performance you
desire.  This should tell you something.

i believe the problem is that the product *do not have updated
documentation* with correct settings for the different kind of
connections

This assumes that your so-called correct settings exist.  What do you
think is going on here.  There are a few folks on this list that are still
using ijfw.  Do you think they know the correct settings and are simply
unwilling to share them with you?

the documentation are still very old PDFs (some it's even hard to open
nowadays) from FX firm, they have been never updated by the new software
house

Think about why this may be.  Perhaps nothing has changed in the ijfw
internals that warrants updating the manuals.

when you modify a rule or a parameter that need firewall restart the
firewall become unresponsive so that you have to call by phone the
customer and power off the server, it's allmost about one year that i
wait for such fix

I have no idea what you are doing wrong.  I routinely modify rules while
accessing the server over a secure VNC connection and have never had that
happen to me

If you mess up a rule because you did not test it before updating the
production system, well what can I say?

did they tested the software on a modern connection?

This kind of stupid comment is sure to get you an immediate response from
the vendor.

You seem to have a poor grasp of history.  FX.DK stopped development of
the ijfw approximately 2008.  For all practical purposes the product was
dead  Bitwise purchased the rights to the software probably about 2011
hoping that they could generate sufficient sales to resurrect the product.
4.2 was release sometime around 2014.  It is now 2021.  The performance of
the product was just fine for circa 2005 networks.  Times change.

BTW, what version of fxwrap.sys are you running?

Steven

on one machine  # 18 Jun 2020 13:21:02

on one machine  # 22 May 2014 13:49:54

on the other machines  # 14 Dec 2018 21:06:18

builds

thanks

massimo