ecs-isp@2rosenthals.com Messaggio archiviato #39

Da: "Lewis G Rosenthal" <ecs-isp@2rosenthals.com> Intestazioni complete
Messaggio non codificato
Oggetto: Re: [eCS-ISP] GoDaddy DDNS
Data: Fri, 24 Jan 2020 17:32:39 -0500
A: eCS ISP Mailing List <ecs-isp@2rosenthals.com>

Hi, guys...

On 01/24/20 02:39 pm, Andy Willis wrote:
On Fri, Jan 24, 2020, 1:19 PM Al Savage <ecs-isp@2rosenthals.com <mailto:ecs-isp@2rosenthals.com>> wrote:

    Perhaps I'm misunderstanding something in this DDNS discussion . . . it
    all sounds so difficult.  Maybe I've got it easy?  Perhaps I am not
    doing things professionally?

    I have a hobby server, which was OS/2-based from 1997 until last year.
    My (several) domain names are defined by dyn.com <http://dyn.com>
    (formerly dyndns, now
    Oracle), for about twenty years.  I pay $15/year (I think).  That gets
    me basic DNS<->IP lookup.  I have residential broadband service, whose
    IP changes on a whim: it may remain the same for six months, or change
    three times in a day.

    When I was an OS/2 shop, I ran a java client that monitored changes to
    the WAN IP, and it used the dyndns API to update my IP in their DNS,
    which propagated out to other DNSs.  This worked well for around fifteen
    years.

    Then, I changed to a router that offered to do this service on its own,
    so I disabled the OS/2 java client and used the router to update my IP
    with dyndns' DNS.  Since a year or so ago, that got flaky (probably a
    change in dyndns' API, and my old hardware router had no firmware update
    available), so I now use a Linux client (supplied as a Debian package, I
    believe) on a local Ubuntu server to manage the IP updates to dyndns.

    Is what you're discussing some variation of what I'm doing with $15/year
    dyn.com <http://dyn.com> and a free Debian IP updater client?  Or
    something else?

Sounds like the same thing.  I've not needed it before but knew Lewis now is a reseller for godaddy and if I am going to buy a service, I figured to check that route first.  I want my router to do it as it will handle it at each IP change.

Al: Yes, exactly.

Let's drop back to the basic idea for a moment: How to update an A record when the public IP changes.

Many devices have built-in DDNS clients. Just select your provider from the dropdown, enter your account credentials, and off you go. However, if all you're doing is maintaining one A record this way, it's rather a waste to spend yet another few $$ for such a service when all you really want to do (as you have clearly stated, Andy) is just update the dang A record in the free DNS included at the registrar.

The problem with GoDaddy, then, is that nobody, but nobody has a packaged updater script either *in* a broadband router device or as part of a configurable updater for Java or whatever (think INADYN). GoDaddy, however, does provide an API for making changes without having to use their awful (did I say awful?) web 2.0 flat interface (which is hard to manage, slow, resource intensive...okay, I'll get off that soapbox for now). So, instead of doing the update from a packaged Java app or from within the broadband router device, just pick one of the scripts available for your scripting language of choice and run it on either a NAS, a box which is up all the time behind the router, or on your local workhorse. (GoDaddy also can import and export zone files, making backup and transfer to another DNS provider - which accepts such things - easy. Dyn Standard does not do this - don't ask.)

There are other features available from services such as Dyn or No-IP, such as webhop which allows you to redirect a request to http://somehost.somedomain to https://anotherhost.anotherdomain:someport and all the while mask the real URL in the browser, but these things are becoming less useful as time goes by (and I do much of this magic in Apache, anyway, with mod_rewrite). If all you need to do is ensure that an A record gets updated, this should be easy.

Also, Dyn's standard DNS service doesn't even support CAA records, and these are now (since 2017 or so) considered *required* for any domain to pass muster. GoDaddy actually *does* support CAA records and it's entirely free if your domain is registered either through GoDaddy directly or via a reseller (like Rosenthal & Rosenthal - domains.2osenthals.com <- shameless plug inserted, shamelessly).

Full disclaimer: GoDaddy's DNS *has* had issues in the past and is nowhere near the robust implementation of Dyn. That said, again, it's free, and sometimes, free is pretty good.