From: "Steven Levine" <ecs-isp@2rosenthals.com> Full Headers
Undecoded message
Subject: Odd dig behavior
Date: Sun, 21 May 2023 09:14:11 -0700
To: ecs-isp@2rosenthals.com

Hi all,

As some of you know, Peter Moylan is working on DNS issues with his
pmoylan.org domain.  While doing some testing with dig, I ran into some
unexpected behaviors which I would like others to double check.
Currently, I have DiG 9.11.28 installed.

[d:\tmp]dig  +nssearch  pmoylan.org

reports

couldn't get address for 'ns1.wiz.net.au': failure
couldn't get address for 'ns2.wiz.net.au': failure
D:\usr2\bin\dig.exe: couldn't get address for 'ns1.wiz.net.au': no more

Do any of you get differing responses?  This command returns expected
results on OpenSuse and lists the SOA records.

[d:\tmp]dig +short  pmoylan.org

returns nothing which is expected given the issues Peter is working on.
However, for bind 9.11.36 and 9.11.37, this command hangs.  It can be
killed with top's forced kill (Ctrl-F), but not a normal kill (Ctrl-K).

Do any of you get differing results.

dig.exe from bind 9.12.4 seems work the same as 9.11.28 for these tests.

Thanks,

Steven