From: "Steven Levine" <ecs-isp@2rosenthals.com> Full Headers
Undecoded message
Subject: Re: [eCS-ISP] Odd dig behavior
Date: Sun, 21 May 2023 22:09:58 -0700

   at 07:50 AM, "Ian Manners" <ecs-isp@2rosenthals.com> said:

Hi,

>Oops, misread your post.

NP. :-)

>I see what you mean, OS/2 dig v9.11.28 doesnt do anything here. no error
>messages, just exits after a short wait.

For which request.  Since it appears that there is no valid A record, I
would expect

  dig +short  pmoylan.org

to report nothing because that what +short requests.  To see more:

  dig pmoylan.org

responds

; <<>> DiG 9.11.28 <<>> pmoylan.org
;; global options: +cmd
;; Got answer:
;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 0, AUTHORITY: 1, ADDITIONAL: 1

;; OPT PSEUDOSECTION:
; EDNS: version: 0, flags:; udp: 512
;; QUESTION SECTION:
;pmoylan.org. IN A

;; AUTHORITY SECTION:
pmoylan.org. 300 IN SOA ns1.wiz.net.au. dns.wiz.net.au. 2019030902 10800
3600 604800 300

;; Query time: 321 msec
;; SERVER: 8.8.8.8#53(8.8.8.8)
;; WHEN: Sun May 21 22:16:06 PDT 2023
;; MSG SIZE  rcvd: 94

The way I read this is that the DNS at 8.8.8.8 responded.  It indicated
that it has no clue what the IP address is assigned to pmoylan.org.
However, it does know that wiz.net.au is the DNS that would know the IP
address if wiz.net.au was properly configured.

Hopefully, Peter will be able to get them to fix this sooner rather than
later.

Steven