From: "Peter Moylan" <ecs-isp@2rosenthals.com> Full Headers
Undecoded message
Subject: Setting up BIND
Date: Tue, 30 May 2023 20:21:09 +1000
To: eCS-ISP list <ecs-isp@2rosenthals.com>

I am trying to set up BIND on my server machine for the very first time. I have already had a lot of help, for which I'm grateful, in creating zone files, so my C:\MPTN\ETC contains what should be the necessary files. I am starting named with the command

    D:\servers\BIND\bind9\sbin\named.exe -c c:\mptn\etc\named.conf

which I have placed in C:\TCPIP\BIN\tcpstart.cmd.

Unfortunately named.exe exits immediately with the error message

    A non-recoverable error occurred.  The process ended.

Although this is an unhelpful message, I strongly suspect that the problem is that I am missing a public/private key pair. Googling has told me that these have to be assigned to me by the .org TLD (although I can no longer find that information), but I suspect that people normally create their own keys. I get the impression that these are RSA keys, and I know how to generate RSA keys (for SSH, for example), but it's hard to be sure. For example, the file bind.keys contains

        . initial-key 257 3 8 "AwEAAaz/tAm8yTn4Mfeh5eyI96WSVexTBAvkMgJzkKTOiW1vkIbzxeF3
+/4RgWOq7HrxRixHlFlExOLAJr5emLvN7SWXgnLh4+B5xQlNVz8Og8kv
ArMtNROxVQuCaSnIDdD5LKyWbRd2n9WGe2R8PzgCmr3EgVLrjyBxWezF
0jLHwVN8efS3rCj/EWgvIWgb9tarpVUDK/b58Da+sqqls3eNbuv7pr+e
oZG+SrDK6nWeL3c6H5Apxz7LjVc1uTIdsIXxuOLYA4/ilBmSVIzuDWfd
RUfhHdY6+cn8HFRm+2hM8AnXGXws9555KrUB5qihylGa8subX2Nn6UwN
                R1AkUTV74bU=";

I know what the base64 encoding is, and I know what the 257 is, but what are the 3 and the 8? So, this is probably not an RSA public key.

In summary, my immediate problem is to understand
(a) what sort of keys are these, and how are they generated?
(b) where should the public and private key be put within the %ETC file structure.

--
Peter Moylan              http://www.pmoylan.org