From: "Steven Levine" <ecs-isp@2rosenthals.com> Full Headers
Undecoded message
Subject: Re: [eCS-ISP] Setting up BIND
Date: Wed, 31 May 2023 09:46:54 -0700

   at 08:43 PM, "Peter Moylan" <ecs-isp@2rosenthals.com> said:

Hi Peter,

>Aha! Now here's an interesting point. Initially I accidentally did that
>test with the copy of bind that I had put on drive D:, and again I got
>that "A non-recoverable error ..." response.

Hmmm.  I did not think to check this kind of setup when trying to
reproduce this message.  I still cannot reproduce your failure message.  I
can get bind to silently refuse to start if the paths in named.conf are
not good enough.  If the paths are right bind is perfectly happy to run
from volume I: with the configuration files on on volume D:.  I suspect
this is going to remain a mystery.

>[C:\BIND9\SBIN]named-checkconf C:\mptn\etc\named.conf

>[C:\BIND9\SBIN]named-checkconf -z C:\mptn\etc\named.conf
>zone localhost/IN: loaded serial 1
>zone 0.0.127.in-addr.arpa/IN: loaded serial 1
>zone 20.168.192.in-addr.arpa/IN: loaded serial 1
>zone 0.in-addr.arpa/IN: loaded serial 1
>zone 255.in-addr.arpa/IN: loaded serial 1
>zone pmoylan.org/IN: loaded serial 2023042801
>This is at last starting to look like what I expected.

This is typical error free output.

>Encouraged by that, I tried

>start C:\bind9\sbin\named.exe -c c:\mptn\etc\named.conf
>and there were no error messages.

:-)

>Then, from my desktop machine, I did
>[D:\]nslookup pmoylan.org
>Server:  server.pmoylan.org
>Address:  192.168.20.5
>Name:    pmoylan.org
>Address:  192.168.20.5

>which is exactly the right response. (But it might have grabbed the
>answer from a HOSTS file, so I'll have to eliminate that potential cause
>of confusion.) Tomorrow I'll add your logging suggestion.

Also, don't forget to edit resolv2 or override the default name server on
the nslookup command line.  For nslookup it's

  nslookup pmoylan.org 127.0.0.1

assuming you DNS is listening to 127.0.0.1.  For dig, it's

  dig @127.0.0.1 pmoylan.org

This is what I use when testing zone file updates.  It's more convenient
than working on two systems.

I prefer dig.exe for testing because it does a better job of telling what
it is doing.

>Anyway, thanks for your help. This is excellent progress.

You're welcome.

Steven