ecs-isp@2rosenthals.com Messaggio archiviato #560

Da: "Paul Smedley" <ecs-isp@2rosenthals.com> Intestazioni complete
Messaggio non codificato
Oggetto: Re: [eCS-ISP] ClamAV
Data: Wed, 11 Oct 2023 18:45:34 +1030
A: eCS ISP Mailing List <ecs-isp@2rosenthals.com>

Hi All,

On 11/10/23 18:30, Massimo S. wrote:

Il 11/10/2023 00:59, Steven Levine ha scritto:
    at 11:55 AM, "Massimo S." <ecs-isp@2rosenthals.com> said: The
ticket was abandoned after i published the eQ dump and i had not more
feedback.

The ticket was not abondoned by anyone I know of, unless it you meant to
say you abandoned it.  You simply neglected to finish adding the required
data which meant the ticket entry was never completed.  Paul answered as
best the could given the information you provided.  I am  a bit older, an
perhaps grumpier, so I sometimes lack the patience to tell folks to do the
same simple things over and over again.

Not updated  is not the same as abandoned. If it was truly abandoned -  it would have been closed with 'won't fix' or similary.

Steven, sorry, but noone asked for this info on Mantis
I got simply no answers at all
Some of use have full time jobs, and a family - OS/2 stuff is a distant 3rd.
On the server it's still installed
ClamAV 0.102.0
freshclam: ClamAV 0.102.0/26074/Mon Feb  8 13:20:40 2021

Please provide a link to the build.  It appears that I missed the
announcement.

http://smedley.id.au/tmp/clamav-0.102.0-os2-20191016.zip

There was no announcement - afair - I built it just for Max  and it (apparently) worked  until clamav decided to stop generating updates for  it.

I use clamav DB + sanesecurity scam and phishing DB even now sanesecurity
2 DBs still updates (they use rsync)

OK

but even clamscan 0.102.0 do not
work anymore and if i run the scan on the maildirs it exit or crash with
\USR\LOCAL\CLAMAV\BIN\CLAMSCAN.EXE (10/16/2019 12:06:11 3,938,904)
  Exception C0000005 - Access Violation

You keep saying this as if it is new information.  Did you understand
Paul's explanation of why ClamScan is not working?

I have no comments on clamscan from 0.102 -  given it can't refresh virus signatures  - I don't see the point of wasting any brain cycles on it.

Now let's talk about the 0.103.6 freshclam build by Paul.
clamav-0.103.6-os2-20220724.zip

https://smedley.id.au/tmp/clamav-0.103.6-os2-20220724.zip

As first i'm only trying freshclam to see if it correctly download
updated signatures
version:  ClamAV 0.103.6/26074/Mon Feb  8 13:20:40 2021
it start downloading updates, but at a certain point it fails with this
message:

Did you not understand Paul's explanation of why FreshScan is not working?

yes, but he said that maybe there is some workaround
elsewhere we are all fuc$ed no more softwares will run on our platform
That's a big leap  -  to say that as clamav has memory issues that no more software will run on the platform, however it is fair to say that the 4gb limit is becoming more and more of an issue.

about freshclam i can't understand the issue to download updates from the internet
and place them in a local dir eg. like sanesecurity does with rsync

Speaking of 0.103.x because when it *loads* the database files it runs into same running out of memory issues

Cheers,

Paul