Fra: "Steven Levine" <ecs-isp@2rosenthals.com> Full Headers
Undecoded message
Emne: Re: [eCS-ISP] VNC
Dato: Sat, 02 Dec 2023 22:50:32 -0800
Til: "eCS ISP Mailing List" <ecs-isp@2rosenthals.com>

   at 05:27 PM, "Peter Moylan" <ecs-isp@2rosenthals.com> said:

Hi Peter,

>I use VNC to look at my server computer from my desktop computer.

Which VNC implementation are you using?  I've been switching over to
Andrey's VNC implemenation as time permits.  It does a lot of things
better than the circa 2004 PMVNC.

I'm a keyboard guy, so for some things the legacy pmvnc offers better
keyboard access.  However, I need to do some more information gathering
before I am ready to discuss this with Andrey.

>In some other situations, I want to kill one version of a program and
>start another version. So far I haven't managed to find a command-line
>"kill process" utility that will work across the LAN, so VNC is the only
>way I have to do that.

All the remote methods I know of require running an agent on he server.
If you are going to do this, you might as well use VNC or telnet.

>Lately the VNC server seems to crashing overnight (or perhaps just
>failing to respond). The only solution I've found is to reboot the
>server.

I need a bit more information before I can offer any possibly useful
suggestions.  First, which VNC?  Second are you getting popuplog type
crashes or stuck in the exit list type crashes or something else?

>Is this a known problem?

Not to my knowledge.  Both VNC implementations are very stable.  I cannot
recall the last time either VNC crashed on me.

Since the problem seems to be recent, you might try to think of what might
have changed at about the same time the problems started.

Steven

"Steven Levine" <steve53@earthlink.net>  Warp/DIY/BlueLion etc.
www.scoug.com www.arcanoae.com www.warpcave.com

Abboner: Feed, Digest, Index.