ecs-isp@2rosenthals.com Messaggio archiviato #632

Da: "Peter Moylan" <ecs-isp@2rosenthals.com> Intestazioni complete
Messaggio non codificato
Oggetto: Re: [eCS-ISP] VNC
Data: Sun, 3 Dec 2023 21:32:28 +1100
A: eCS ISP Mailing List <ecs-isp@2rosenthals.com>

On 03/12/23 17:50, Steven Levine wrote:
In <list-8670775@2rosenthals.com>, on 12/03/23 at 05:27 PM, "Peter
Moylan" <ecs-isp@2rosenthals.com> said:

Hi Peter,

I use VNC to look at my server computer from my desktop computer.

Which VNC implementation are you using?  I've been switching over to
Andrey's VNC implemenation as time permits.  It does a lot of things
better than the circa 2004 PMVNC.

I'm using PMVNC 103. Now I'll try Andrey's.

Well, actually, I thought I was using PMVNC, but that's based on the
name of a zip file. Now that I've looked at the directory holding the
executables, I see that the README is signed by Andrey. I have one
program in D:\Apps\VNC and one in D:\Programs\VNC. (Normally I don't put
anything in D:\Programs, to avoid this sort of confusion.) The Startup
folder is definitely choosing Andrey's.

I can't find anything about version either in the README or elsewhere
with a version number. The executables have a file date of 2019-03-31,
but that is probably when I installed it.

I'm a keyboard guy, so for some things the legacy pmvnc offers
better keyboard access.  However, I need to do some more information
gathering before I am ready to discuss this with Andrey.

Something I appreciate about the one I have is that it's very easy to
copy text from a command-line window on the server and then paste it
into an editor window on my desktop computer. I do that moderately
often. I've also found that if I need to edit a file on the server then
doing it via Netdrive is a bad idea; I need to edit it inside VNC.

Lately the VNC server seems to crashing overnight (or perhaps just
failing to respond). The only solution I've found is to reboot the
server.

I need a bit more information before I can offer any possibly useful
suggestions.  First, which VNC?  Second are you getting popuplog
type crashes or stuck in the exit list type crashes or something
else?

The only recent popuplog entries are for INIServe. (Something I need to
fix, of course, but other things have higher priority.) There don't seem
to be trap files or anything like. As for other causes, I can only check
that with a monitor put on the server ... which I can do, but the
failure always seems to happen when I'm asleep.

Since the problem seems to be recent, you might try to think of what
might have changed at about the same time the problems started.

The only recent changes have been versions of Weasel that crash with
some sort of heap problem. However, the version currently running seems
to have fixed the problem (fingers crossed!).

--
Peter Moylan                         http://www.pmoylan.org