From: "Peter Moylan" <ecs-isp@2rosenthals.com> Full Headers
Undecoded message
Subject: Re: [eCS-ISP] VNC
Date: Sun, 3 Dec 2023 21:45:51 +1100

On 03/12/23 19:08, Ian Manners wrote:
Hi Peter,

Adding to what others have mentioned.

Important to head a monitor around for those times you need to put a
head on your headless server :)

That was going to be the next thing I tried. I do have a spare monitor
and keyboard and mouse in an overcrowded cupboard in this room. I pull
them out only when desperate, because this desk was never designed to
fit an extra monitor. There's a second desk, but it too is overcrowded.

Every few years when my server has stopped for some reason, looking
at the screen has been important, first thing I've done for
unexpected things is to clean out the dust and check items like
thermal paste are still ok on the heatsink, reseat any PCI cards (two
NIC's) and replug leads etc. I also developed a habit of using
electrically safe contact grease.

Good points. One disadvantage of having the server under my desk is that
it will pick up dust. (And one of our cats has been shedding lots of
fur.) I run a vacuum cleaner over the air vents every now and then, but
perhaps it's time to open up the box and look for potential problems.
Right now I can't even remember whether it contains any cards that could
need re-seating, but it probably does.

--
Peter Moylan                         http://www.pmoylan.org