From: "Lewis G Rosenthal" <ecs-isp@2rosenthals.com> Full Headers
Undecoded message
Subject: Re: [eCS-ISP] PHP 8.1.7
Date: Tue, 2 Apr 2024 16:24:18 -0400

On 04/02/24 03:43 am, Massimo S. wrote:
Hi all,

i'm planning to upgrade my 7.4 PHP what are the latest builds of apache and php tested
or used by someone?

here we are at this level

Server Version: Apache/2.4.57 (OS/2) OpenSSL/1.1.1q PHP/7.4.32
Server MPM: mpmt_os2
Server Built: Apr 8 2023 07:51:12

I run nothing which is truly PHP8-compliant. WordPress itself is supposed to be, but many (many!) plugins are not, and I don't have the time or the inclination to manually edit every one of them to fix deprecation errors (or worse).

Latest PHP 7 upstream seems to be 7.4.33, with only a couple minor bug fixes from 7.4.32.

Latest PHP 8 upstream looks like 8.3.4, though I have not been keeping up with Paul's PHP 8 progress. It looks like he has committed the 8.2.4 source, but I am not aware of any binaries.

To me, the biggest potential improvement in PHP with version 8 is the JIT, though this requires considerably more processing power (in some cases, it may be that on the same, more limited hardware, PHP 7 might outperform PHP 8 due to the JIT compiler overhead). Anyway, as I say, unless or until I have a need for PHP 8 (which, like PHP 7, includes *breaking* changes), I'll stick with PHP 7.

GL