From: "Hendrik Schmieder" <ecs-isp@2rosenthals.com> Full Headers
Undecoded message
Subject: Re: [eCS-ISP] Are IP addresses personal data?
Date: Thu, 19 Mar 2020 20:34:50 +0100

Am 16.03.2020 um 20:13 schrieb Steven Levine:

Hi guys,

I, perhaps mistakenly, agreed to assist massimo with a couple of stunnel
issues.  When I requested a copy of the stunnel logs, he claimed that the
log contains person data and refused to attach it to the mantis ticket.

As I understand the law, IP address alone are not person data.  In
specific cases they become personal data when associated with other
information that is itself considered personal information.  This link:

   https://www.pinsentmasons.com/out-law/guides/ip-addresses-and-the-data-protection-act

match my understanding of the issue.  Is my understanding incorrect?

Thanks,

Steven

I think,

Massimo is located in Italy (EU)
so the more current link is

<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_Data_Protection_Regulation>

If you don't need the exact ips, Massimo can replace the ip adresses in
his stunnel logs by *.*.*.*.

Massimos fear is that he may pay a fine of several 1000 Euros or even more.

  Hendrik

--
This email was Anti Virus checked by Astaro Security Gateway. http://www.sophos.com