From: "Lewis G Rosenthal" <ecs-t6x@2rosenthals.com> Full Headers
Undecoded message
Subject: Re: [eCS T60/T61] Wireless vs. Cable settings
Date: Tue, 22 Apr 2008 20:31:12 -0400

On 04/22/08 07:42 pm, Jon Harrison thus wrote :
On Tue, 22 Apr 2008 18:22:09 -0400, Lewis G Rosenthal wrote:

So the WRT54G is the only switch on your network, and you have an OS/2 box serving as a bastion server connected to the DSL. This is interesting, because with a WRT54G, I would normally put that on the outside, and use it as a NAT firewall/router instead of a real computer.

I understand.  However, I set up the firewall computer w/ IJFW
quite a few years prior to obtaining the linksys.  I considered
that I could change it but why bother?  I might get a better
troughput with the linksys than w/ the PIII Compaq (w/ 2 nic's)
that servers as my NAT firewall/router.

The LinkSys units (later models, at least) have 166-200MHz CPUs in them. You'll surely get more performance out of a PIII machine.
So, I assume that the OS/2 box on the outside has two NICs in it and is routing traffic to the net for you. Are you running DNS on this, or is the 1.1.1.1 address something else?

No, I'm not running dns, ddns on the linksys.  I vaguely recall
that perhaps 1.1.1.1 means to pass through the dns requests to the
next stop upstream.  I'm not really sure of this, only that it
works.

Ah, it may be an InJoy thing. I don;t use it, so I have no practical experience. I run DNS and DHCP on my NetWare boxes, so I point to one of my servers as my primary DNS. Considering the address (non-routable), I thought you were doing the same type of thing.
Interesting. The next time you encounter the trouble, try pinging some IP addresses on the net. A good one to test is one of GTE's old DNS boxes:

Been there, done that.  Ping'd yahoo's IP and got no response.
Okay, then that would indicate that this isn't a DNS issue, but a routing problem.
Also tried nslookup on my isp, & google.  That is when I decided I
had either a gateway or dns problem.  And when the gateway was
correctly set I figured it was dns.  What is really odd is that the
ping only works on the inside.  And when I was (and still am)
unable to boot I moved over to xp and it works fine, proving that
there is not a hardware issue.

Very interesting, indeed. Try a netstat -n and see what your routing table shows. I'm curious.
I used to routinely keep four or five in my resolv2. excess entries are simply ignored. The important lines are the top two (domain and first DNS).

That is what I figured, I just tossed it out for comment in case it
was a no-no.

:-)
I just pulled down the v3.07 stuff.  I don't know why I couldn't
see those files this morning.  Also I was unaware that apm had to
be matched w/ acpi so I need to check and see what version I have
for apm.
Yes, indeed. I think you might have an easier time with an older APM against a newer ACPI, but the reverse would probably not work.
Thanks,

Surely!

Rosenthal & Rosenthal, LLC
Accountants / Network Consultants