From: "Jon Harrison" <ecs-t6x@2rosenthals.com> Full Headers
Undecoded message
Subject: Re: [eCS T60/T61] Installed eCS 2.0 RC4 on T61 (6465-CTO) withSUSE SLED 10 preloaded.
Date: Thu, 29 May 2008 21:37:14 -0700 (PDT)

On Thu, 29 May 2008 17:48:14 -0500, madodel wrote:

Mark:

I have the same model w/ 3gb ram, purchased in April.

>the T61 with SUSE Linux 10 installed. No windoze. :-)  Took me a bit to
>figure out how to get Boot Manager and a logical partition on it. SUSE used

Congrats on the SUSE.  I agonized over going that way but the
bottomline was that I needed to be able to use MS Office for
specific compatibility issues that were required.  And since that
was my rational for buying the T61 I had to go for Win (XP).

>battery.  Is there a version anyone finds better then 3.05?  When I tried
>3.09 I got hangs on boot (Loading SCREEN01.SYS).  I may try the old APM.SYS
>which worked fine on my T42p.

I'm using 3.07 with apm.add 1.22.  My psd line is
psd=acpi.psd /smp /apic /sap:0x20

I have not had time to try any of the apm capabilities other that
to get it to load.  I didn't want it to do anything if I closed the
lid, so left the config empty.  Also I am using snap and the .doc's
specifically refer to Panamora.  I think I read somewhere that Snap
works ok.

>WSVGA+ display (Intel GMA X3100 GM 965 Mobile Integrated Graphics
>Controller) works fairly well with SNAP VESA VBE driver at 1680x1050,
>though there is some brief remnant when dragging windows.

Same display here, using 1440x900x64k and I do not see a dragging
remnant.

>SNAP only shows
>7616KB of video memory being used.  I know nothing about integrated

Same memory statistic

>Wifi (Intel PRO/Wireless 3945ABG) is working with GenMac from RC4, though
>on occasion it can't find the router on boot.  Not sure if Haven't tried

The problem I had at first was that I use static IP and it kept
trying to load dhcp and kept rewriting my resolv file.  I finally
got it working by setting the xLan monitor to always start up 'off'
and I manually start the 'radio'.  I haven't gotten used to this
procedure yet, I keep loading apps that want to access the net but
can't because I don't have the 'radio' on.  Also I had to disable
the LLA address toggle on the tcpip tab of xLan.  Days later when I
started playing with the wired NIC (82566mm) I had more problems.
Those were resolved by more careful reading of the xLAN doc's.
Turns out you shouldn't use tcp/ip Config Notebook to define both
LAN0 & LAN1.  Define only the wireless lan.  Then activate LLA and
it handles the transititon to wired correctly.  It could be that my
original problem with dhcp, resolv, & LLA may have been due to
having configured both wired & wireless (LAN0 & LAN1) in tcp
config.  I assigned different IP's for wired & wirless and they are
defined in Hosts.

>Intel Gigabit NIC (1049h 82566MM) yet.  Does that work with the Intel
>Pro/1000 driver?

I am using the genmac 10/100/1000 wrapper.  It was a selectable
choice in mptn setup.

>When I tried RC4's Uniaud it trapped.  (ICH8 Family) HD Audio Controller.
>Chuck said he has sound working with Paul's latest Uniaud driver so I will
>try that.

I am using uniaud 1.94, it works for system sounds.  I was having
problems at first and once I upgraded the FAT32 driver that helped.
 I guess you won't be loading FAT32.

It locks up w/ flash, sometimes it plays 1 time, it always locks up
on the 2nd time (at youtube site - haven't tried other views).  FF
2.0.0.11 w/ flash patch for v9.0.115.  I need to install mplay and
see if that will work.  I tried Z! on an mp3 online and it locked
up.  Haven't tried an mp3 off of the drive.

>Also with the RC4 Amouse driver the trackpoint works as a 2 button mouse
>only.  I can't get the middle button or scrolling to work.  And using comet
>cursor makes the system act like its a 486, with long pauses and slow
>typing.  I will try the IBM Mouse driver to see if that works better.

I'm using IBM mouse.sys v10.163, works fine (incl comet cursor).
And today I tried a usb mouse, it only works in the top right port,
in the bottom port it locks up booting.  Haven't tried the left
side port since I'm right handed and didn't want to fool with
unwrapping the cord and running it behind the machine.

Middle scrolling works fine on eraser.  I disabled the touchpad in
the bios because my hands kept getting in the way of it with
unintended mouse action consequences.

>SD/xD/memory stick card slot though eCS doesn't seem to recognize it).

Same here, no workie.  If I plug in my card reader it works fine.

Further to your comments, I get occasional hangs on booting - JFS
boot partition.  Not every time but often enough to be annoying.
It is always after the display shows the unicode translation table
line and before SNAP spash screen.  That requires a poweroff (once
in awhile multiple CAD's will start the reboot).  Once I'm into a
dirty powerdown it takes several cycles of boot/poweroff to get it
going again.  Interestingly if I boot to the RC4 maintenance
console and chkdsk /f:2 then it usually will boot on the powerup.
Seems like the multiple poweroff's required on a reboot from dirty
shutdown gets partway through the config.sys and then finds
something that it can't read.  Do it again and it gets further
through the bootup.  3x usually gets it going whereas the chkdsk
from maint. console will get it on one boot.  Don't know if there
is any validity to the above, just an observation.