From: "Carl Gehr" <ecs-t6x@2rosenthals.com> Full Headers
Undecoded message
Subject: Re: [eCS T60/T61] Installed eCS 2.0 RC4 on T61 (6465-CTO) withSUSE SLED 10 preloaded.
Date: Fri, 30 May 2008 16:00:57 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, 30 May 2008 11:14:55 -0700 (PDT), Jon Harrison wrote:

>On Fri, 30 May 2008 02:04:41 -0400 (EDT), Carl Gehr wrote:
>

>>I fixed the re-writing of the resolv2 file by manually setting all the
>>entries I wanted and then marking the file as READ-ONLY.  Whatever was
>>doing the over-writing probably still thinks it is doing so, but it
>>never happens.
>
>Carl:
>
>So you experienced this problem too?
>
>I was going to try RO but I got it sorted out without resorting to
>that.  It's been working ok for the last week, however, I have not
>really used it enough to be sure it is all ok.

My problem was not so much 'working' as it was a problem moving around
to various locations.  Each new location [i.e., ISP] has their own DNS.
 Getting to the DNS that each location needed to find everything else
has been a mess when the RESOLV2 file is overwritten.

For example:
*  Home:
       I have always had the DNS defined for my home ISP.
       Works fine as long as I am at home.
*  Visiting my son:
       I had to find out the IP of his ISP's DNS and plug it
       into RESOLV2.  But, when I got home, and the file was
       overwritten, I had to reset to my ISP's DNS.
*  Visiting my business partner:
       Her ISP's DSL modem/router provides the DNS.  Again, I
       had to enter this into RESOLV2.
*  Traveling:
       Some airports have a WiFi setup.  Earlier this week in
       Orlando, I could not connect at first.  Using a tip from
       Lewis, I added 4.2.2.3 as a nameserver and forced my
       domain name.  Connection worked fine.  But, it would have
       been overwritten and caused problems when I got home.

So, I now have all of the above name server in the list.  And, the file
is R/O.  So far, no problems when I got home and I expect none in the
future.  Only time will tell.  If you're always in one place, with one
ISP, should not be an issue.  That's just not how I live.

Carl