Gönderim Listesi ecs-t6x@2rosenthals.com Ar?vli ?leti #154

Gönderen: "Lewis G Rosenthal" <ecs-t6x@2rosenthals.com> Tam Ba?l?klar
Çözülmemi? ?leti
Konu: Re: [eCS T60/T61] Installed eCS 2.0 RC4 on T61 (6465-CTO) withSUSE SLED 10 preloaded.
Tarih: Fri, 30 May 2008 20:42:11 -0400
Alacak: "eCS ThinkPad T60/61 Mailing List" <ecs-t6x@2rosenthals.com>

PMFJI...

On Fri, 30 May 2008 17:02:46 -0700 (PDT) "Jon Harrison"
<ecs-t6x@2rosenthals.com> wrote:
>On Fri, 30 May 2008 16:00:57 -0400 (EDT), Carl Gehr wrote:
>
>> Each new location [i.e., ISP] has their own DNS.
>> Getting to the DNS that each location needed to find everything else
>>has been a mess when the RESOLV2 file is overwritten.
>
>You raise a good point.  I have not yet traveled with the TP61 so
>had not thought much about it.  I'm interested in the 4.2.2.3 tip.
>Is that just a random known dns server?

4.2.2.1, 2, & 3 are old GTE root servers. Verizon used to recommend them
for new DSL configurations in Northern VA. I use these all the time (though
my local NetWare servers all do DNS, so I point there, first. Those servers
then go up to 4.2.2.1, 2, & 3 for addresses which they haven't yet cached.

>I have a TLD ip address as
>the 3rd entey in my resolv2 but I have no idea if it ever gets
>queried.

AFAIK, while you may enter any number of DNS addresses in resolv2, only the
first three get used. You can test this by making two bogus entries for the
top ones & then running NSLOOKUP.

___
Lewis G Rosenthal
Rosenthal & Rosenthal, LLC