From: "Lewis G Rosenthal" <ecs-t6x@2rosenthals.com> Full Headers
Undecoded message
Subject: OT: Linux editing (was: Re: [eCS T60/T61] Installed eCS 2.0 RC4 on T61 (6465-CTO) withSUSE SLED 10 preloaded.)
Date: Sun, 01 Jun 2008 21:23:09 -0400

On 06/01/08 07:49 pm, madodel thus wrote :
Lewis G Rosenthal wrote:
On Sun, 01 Jun 2008 19:03:44 -0400 "madodel" <ecs-t6x@2rosenthals.com> wrote:
Jon Harrison wrote:
On Fri, 30 May 2008 19:57:11 -0400, madodel wrote:

Hmm, I just tried mouse.sys (10.163) and though the middle button
doesn't
cause the pointer to shoot to the side like Amouse does, it doesn't
scroll
either, even with scrolling enabled in the settings.  I know I had the trackpoint scrolling working on the T42p, I just don't remember what I
had
to do.
Mouse object -> Scrolling tab -> I have selected 'Scrolling' &
'Press Center Button'.
Same here, but no scrolling.   It does work if I disable the touchpad in the BIOS, but then stupid SUSE won't boot.  From what I gather from searching google I might be able to fix the linux eror by editing the etc/X11/xorg.conf file but I can't figure out how to use vim.  How can people stand linux?  Its so freaking hard to do anything.

:-)

Try logging in as root (or from a terminal, sux) and use kate or kWrite to edit the file. The GUI is a bit more intuitive than vi or vim, if you're not accustomed to using it/them.

Thanks Lewis.  I only tried it from the terminal as that was the instructions I found via google and that used "kate", but that was not found.  That was when I tried "edit" which started vim.  Must have been designed by the same people that developed edlin.  I will try to find a logon to login as root.  Then I should be able to see xorg.conf.

No problem, buddy.

The default location for kate should be /opt/kde3/bin. To run a terminal command as root, use su (or sudo, to execute the command on the same line). You will be prompted for the root password befor ethe app runs. To run X apps, use sux (sux --help will shed more light on this). Theoretically, you could use sux instead of su, but old habits die hard. ;-)

Linux is more a different dance than a different language. You just have to get used to the music and learn the steps. The basic concepts you already know. One of the toughest things (tough here meaning annoying to remember) is that options precede file or directory specifiers, as in ls -l ./ . The other (really) annoying thing is finding where the devil things are in that convoluted (to us, at least) directory structure (and of course, SuSE - or Novell - decided to add yet another twist with the "/opt" directory...huh?).

Stick with it, though. These are good skills to have and will serve you well. Whenever you have to work inside a "real" router or firewall, you can bet there's Linux under the hood, and if you cna get comfortable at a prompt, you'll find that the rest of the syntax for whatever hardware you're using will come very quickly.

Need a managed Wi-Fi hotspot?                www.hautspot.com
Warpstock - Santa Cruz, CA, Aug 15-17, 2008 www.warpstock.org