From: "Chuck McKinnis" <ecs-t6x@2rosenthals.com> Full Headers
Undecoded message
Subject: Re: [eCS T60/T61] Installing rc5 over rc4?
Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2008 11:56:48 -0600

Jon Harrison wrote:
I am planning to install rc5 over rc4 on my t61.  Has anyone done
this yet?

I would highly recommend that you not try to migrate RC4 to RC5.  I have an open ticket in the bugtracker.  The install with migration fails when it starts phase 2, and I have not figured out how to proceed.  My RC4 is setting there waiting for advice.

My recollection is that it would be better to format and install. So I will lose some stuff if I do this.  Has anyone installed rc5
without formatting first (which performs a migration instead of a
new install)?.

I have apps on another partition but some apps have keys in the
os2.ini file so I still will have to reinstall them.  Any ideas on
how to avoid this if I do a fresh install?  Then there is FF with
the various extensions I have added and the patched version of
Flash which are on C:.  I really hate to have to go looking for all
this and reinstalling.

In hardware selection, I can choose acpi.  Since I did not select
it in the installer startup, should I leave it blank now too?

You really want ACPI if you want to run the dual core.

I don't know whether or not to select pcmcia support.... I really
don't know if it is needed or not for future use - I don't have any
of those devices.

I don't have any PCMCIA devices that I use anymore either.  However, I did install it.

Should I select to install Uniaud or skip this and install it later
(or in case of migrating, maybe I should not check it?).

Don't install Uniaud unless you want to work your way out of the trap. Let multimedia install and then install Uniaud with the patched modules after you get everything else running.

FWIW, I started the install and it won't progress with default
installer.  When using my own values, I have to uncheck acpi to get
it to proceed.

Jon

--
Chuck McKinnis