From: "Jon Harrison" <ecs-t6x@2rosenthals.com> Full Headers
Undecoded message
Subject: Re: [eCS T60/T61] Installing rc5 over rc4?
Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2008 12:59:29 -0700 (PDT)

On Wed, 16 Jul 2008 11:56:48 -0600, Chuck McKinnis wrote:

Chuck:

>> I am planning to install rc5 over rc4 on my t61.  Has anyone done
>> this yet?
>
>I would highly recommend that you not try to migrate RC4 to RC5.  I have
>an open ticket in the bugtracker.  The install with migration fails when

OK, thanks, that solves one question.

>> In hardware selection, I can choose acpi.  Since I did not select
>> it in the installer startup, should I leave it blank now too?
>
>You really want ACPI if you want to run the dual core.

Yes, I will have ACPI, the question is *when* to install it.  I
guess I'll just wait until it's all done, like uniaud.  My question
came up because the hardware section of the install offers a
checkbox for acpi (unchecked, probably because I unchecked it
during the beginning setup).  I was wondering if checking it at
this stage would allow it to continue or if it would die on me.  I
guess I'll just install it when it's all done.

>> I don't know whether or not to select pcmcia support.... I really
>> don't know if it is needed or not for future use - I don't have any
>> of those devices.
>
>I don't have any PCMCIA devices that I use anymore either.  However, I
>did install it.

OK, but chosing this option allows one to choose a driver that is
for the TP42, so is that the one to use as there is no other option
that is 'higher'.

>> Should I select to install Uniaud or skip this and install it later
>> (or in case of migrating, maybe I should not check it?).
>
>Don't install Uniaud unless you want to work your way out of the trap.
>Let multimedia install and then install Uniaud with the patched modules
>after you get everything else running.

OK, Thanks.

Jon