From: "Lewis G Rosenthal" <ecs-t6x@2rosenthals.com> Full Headers
Undecoded message
Subject: Re: [eCS T60/T61] installing acpi w/ rc5
Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2008 23:57:19 -0400

On Thu, 28 Aug 2008 18:41:47 -0700 (PDT)
 "Jon Harrison" <ecs-t6x@2rosenthals.com> wrote:
On Thu, 28 Aug 2008 20:43:28 -0400, Lewis G Rosenthal wrote:

First, which CPU do you have in your T61, Jon?

Same one that came with the t61   ;)
It worked on acpi under rc4.

Lets see now.... Intel core2 T9300 @ 2.5gHz

Did it come with a seatbelt? :-)

I thought they were all Core 2 machines, but wasn't 100% sure (and was too lazy to look it up).

Next, I set up SMP using the ACPI wizard instead of doing it manually (as I did with my Proliant server).

I tried that first, it didn't work right for me.  First off, it
didn't copy the smp files over the w4 files.  I had to do that
manually.

Hmmm... I don't recall running into that, though I may have forgotten (or perhaps I ran it twice before rebooting, just to be sure?).

I'm sure that line reads:

PSD=ACPI.PSD /SMP /APIC

(not /ACPI)

Right, and that is what I used under rc4.  But an earlier email
from Chuck mentioned /acpi but not /smp (coulda been an omission). Then this ayem I got one from Joachim in reply to a ticket I
created.  He mentioned /acpi but not /smp.  So that is where my
comment came from.  I tried both switches also and it doesn't work.

Interesting. I'll have to re-read the <ahem> "docs" again sometime soon.

Try changing to PIC from APIC (or just leave off /APIC).

Urghhhh.  /APIC.  I'm using /ACPI.  Jezzzz.  Love those random
thoughts!
But..... /apic still hangs at screen01.

and /pic is the same hang.

Well, with the hang using /PIC, I would guess that this isn't an interrupt problem, as high IRQs aren't enabled without APIC (IIRC).

Check that your ACPI.CFG is clean (default). You should find that either in \OS2\BOOT or %ETC% (can't recall right now).

It's in boot and all statements in that file are commented out, so
it's clean, if that is what all comments in a that file means.

Yep. That's what I meant.

Just some random thoughts off the top of my head.

Appreciate those random comments.

They may not help much, but they're free. These days, there's not much which comes for free. OTOH, you usually get what you pay for, so... ;-)

I'll have a look at Diane's machine tomorrow and will post some files. Right now, about the only thing which hangs it (and is the showstopper) is UniAUD. A couple videos from youtube, and hard lockup. Other than that, I have booting and shutdown working fairly well. I'll see if something jumps out at me when I dig into it, and will follow up.

Lewis G Rosenthal, CNA, CLE, CLP
Rosenthal & Rosenthal, LLC
Accountants / Network Consultants
New York / Northern Virginia