From: "Paul Smedley" <ecs-t6x@2rosenthals.com> Full Headers
Undecoded message
Subject: Re: [eCS T60/T61] Random Trap 008's with T60
Date: Tue, 23 Dec 2008 07:53:19 +0945

Hi Lewis,

Lewis G Rosenthal wrote:
On 12/20/08 05:44 pm, Paul Smedley thus wrote :
Hi Lewis!

Lewis G Rosenthal wrote:
On Sat, 20 Dec 2008 17:13:21 +0945 "Paul Smedley" <ecs-t6x@2rosenthals.com> wrote:
Hi Gang,

I've had this problem for a while, but have never worried too much about it as the T60 is basically just a hack machine for testing things out on when I don't want to trash my desktop, but since my monitor died on my last night after a power cut, my desktop is useless, so I'm using the T60 full time until I can get the monitor repaired.

Anyway, to the problem - the T60 works great in normal use, the only problem is if I leave it idle for a while, I come back and find the system sitting at a trap dump screen (Trap 0008).

Any suggestions?

Currently running eCS v2 rc6a (although same trap appeared with older rc's too). I might try using Panorama in place of Snap and see if that helps, other than than I have no clue :(

Hi, Paul...

A couple things come to mind:

Power management & GenMAC

Which Win32 driver is in your wrapper directory? I updated some a while back, but I'd have to look to see if the few I submitted cover the T60 (I believe they do/did). Try turning off all power mgmt on the system. Check the BIOS & embedded controller firmware versions against the latest available from Lenovo.
BIOS was the latest the last time I checked - but I will check again.

Drivers used are:
E1E5132.sys - ethernet
AR5211abg.sys - wireless lan

I updated the ethernet driver with the latest on my XP partition, and the system hung before the WPS started up - so I just removed the ethernet driver as I never use it :)  Will see if that helps.

Thanks for the tips.

Surely!

Carl's post is interesting. Do you have the screensaver enabled, by chance? When idle, do you have Firefox and/or SeaMonkey loaded? (I would see the latter as more related to the GenMAC/power management issue; i.e., the NIC throttles down, and upon waking up, causes the trap. Scott told me once (2002?) that trap 8's are almost always hardware related (interrupts), so I'm thinking of what might leave an interrupt hot...

Cheers, buddy.

PS - I forgot that your T60 had an Atheros chipset in the WLAN card. Unfortunately, I'm infinitely more familiar with the Intel's these days. I'll have a look at the E1E5132.sys I tested last. I hadn't had one lock up on me, though I may be used to a different flavor of the Intel Pro/1000 MT.
What I've done so far:
- disabled Doodle's Screen Save
- removed ethernet driver (i don't use it anyway)

This did appear to help, however after a few hours, I did get another trap 0008 :( One of them was even whilst I was in the middle of some compiling - which takes out my system idle theory.

I'll boot to XP today and check all the system bios, etc for updates, and see if there are any BIOS settings relating to power management.

Cheers,

Paul.