From: "Lewis G Rosenthal" <ecs-t6x@2rosenthals.com> Full Headers
Undecoded message
Subject: Re: [eCS T60/T61] A new/odd wrinkle: Phone rings; T60 sound goes wacko!
Date: Fri, 27 Feb 2009 13:13:31 -0500

On 02/25/09 12:29 pm, Carl Gehr thus wrote :
On Wed, 25 Feb 2009 09:37:43 -0500, Lewis G Rosenthal wrote:

On 02/24/09 09:05 pm, Carl Gehr thus wrote :

Here's a new one for the books!

I was using the T60, writing a message, when my cordless telephone
[Panasonic - 2.4GHz] started ringing.  Not unusual, but then the sound
on the TPad started a constant, high-pitched alarm-like tone.  Only by
using the ThinkVantage [blue rectangle] button to mute the sound would
it stop.

I should also mention that, contrary to what some others have
experienced, the 'ThinkPad On-Screen Display' tool works for me to
raise/lower/mute the sound.  This is why I instinctly pushed the 'mute'
button.

Was it a coincidence?  Or was there really a cause-effect action here?

Anyone else ever seen such a thing?

I might expect the cordless phone to disrupt your Wi-Fi, but I've never heard of a feedback condition or an alarm sounding from the unit.

It was just a single, constant tone...  I've had this kind of noise
before.  I think it was caused by two different programs trying to
create sound at the same time.

I agree that an IRQ (or other resource) conflict could cause this symptom. I'm just wondering what a 2.4GHz cordless phone might have had to do with it...
Does your model have Bluetooth in it (there would be an icon next to the Wi-Fi indicator)? Naturally, the BT won't do you any good under OS/2 (yet - you never know when we may get support for BT), but the hardware could be awake...

T60 does have BT.  I've never tried to use it.  W/O looking, I
have no clue if it is ON/OFF.  Since eCS has no support, I've
never bothered to look at it.

The hardware manual says that the light is on when it is awake and off when it is not. (It also says that the Wi-Fi indicator is on solid when the Wi-Fi is enabled, and blonking when data is transmitted...)

Not much help on this one, I'm afraid.

Need a managed Wi-Fi hotspot?                www.hautspot.com
Treasurer, Warpstock Corporation            www.warpstock.org