From: "Lewis G Rosenthal" <ecs-t6x@2rosenthals.com> Full Headers
Undecoded message
Subject: Re: [eCS T60/T61] question about installing OS/2 and Ubuntu on a T61p
Date: Thu, 25 Jun 2009 12:39:28 -0400

Hi, Lothar!

Brief thoughts, below:

On 06/25/09 12:12 pm, Lothar Frommhold thus wrote :
Hello to everyone:

I need to install OS/2-eCS2.0 (RC6a) and Ubuntu (or rather the Kubuntu variety) on a T61p. Does someone in this newsgroup have some experience? I wonder what one should do:

1. Try to multi-boot Kubuntu and eCS? Would this work?
Yes, this would work. The recommended way is to use Boot Manager, and install GRUB in your Linux boot partition vs using GRUB as your main boot manager. GRUB is just ornery sometimes, and Boot Manager is typical IBM: reliable.
2. Install Kubuntu and run eCS in a virtual machine as a guest? (64 bit VMWare 4.0 supports OS/2 4.51)
This should work. The T9300 is a Core2 CPU, and thus, EM64T-capable, so a 64-bit Linux would be a good choice (depending upon the rest of the hardware; I've never installed a 64-bit OS on a ThinkPad, and I am told that not all machines - regardless of CPU - run 64-bit reliably).
3. Install VMWare and run Kubuntu and eCs as guests? (The T61p processor is a T9300, ready to support virtual machines.)

This would also work, though I don't see the real advantage over 64-bit Kubuntu as your host OS. In a server environment, this might be desirable if you had multiple virtuals to run simultaneously for some reason, but on a workstation, I'd be hard pressed to come up with a good use-case vs option 2.
If someone knows of a "how-to" to do any of the three choices above, could you please let me know? Any help or clue you might be able to give is appreciated!

My only real experience has been with option 1. Install BM, install eCS (leave space for your Linux partitions), and install Kubuntu (being careful to install GRUB in the right place; I understand that under Kubuntu - or is it just Ubuntu? - you need to use a different install disc to select the GRUB location, so check this out; I'm a SuSE guy, myself). Finally, add Kubuntu to BM, and away you go.

HTH

Need a managed Wi-Fi hotspot?                www.hautspot.com
Warpstock - Albuquerque, NM, Aug 7-9, 2009  www.warpstock.org