From: "Chuck McKinnis" <ecs-t6x@2rosenthals.com> Full Headers
Undecoded message
Subject: Re: [eCS T60/T61] question about installing OS/2 and Ubuntu on a T61p
Date: Thu, 25 Jun 2009 17:15:30 -0600

Gerry Prosser wrote:
I have done this on my T61P, finally successfully but after much grief
along the way.

I recommend using Boot Manager and GRUB, but contrary to what Lewis
has said, I would NOT put GRUB in the /boot partition. That way seems
to lead to disaster and inability to boot the ECS installation CD let
alone ECS itself, just as Andy says. Don't even bother creating a
/boot partition.

Do the partitioning with eCS and install Boot Manager and then eCS.
Then install Ubuntu and put GRUB into the root partition. I would not
bother with JFS for Ubuntu - it seems to be incompatible with our JFS,
I am using EXT3 for both my / and /home partitions. I have one FAT32
partition which is accessble by Win7, Ubuntu and eCS.

There are further (serious) complications if you want to put Vista or
Win7 on the machine as well, but I still have not got to the bottom of
them .........

I tried Windows 7 on my ThinkCentre M50 about a week ago.  It walked on Boot Manager, Windows XP, and my WinXP recovery partition.  It did boot.  I then selected the other windows partition off of the Windows 7 boot screen (this is not really a boot manager, it is more like GRUB with dementia) and found that WinXP was gone.  I fixed Boot Manager and my Ubuntu and eCS partitions with DFSee.

I then tried to recover Windows XP from a rescue CD.  Bad choice. Rescue managed to clobber the entire drive and all of the partitions when it started.  Back to DFSee.  I did recover Ubuntu and my eCS partitions.  Used DFSee again to send Windows 7 to where the sun doesn't shine.  Still trying to get Windows XP back on the system without damaging anything else.  Right now I am imaging WinXP and a recovery partition off of an old laptop drive and will try to put them back (the recovery partition is imaged and the WinXP image says it has about 8 hours to go).

Oh, yes, go for the 64-bit versions of Ubuntu, and don't bother with
anything earlier than 9.04! I have not tried Kab - I use Ubuntu/Ubuntu
Studio.

Good luck, and let us know how you get on!

On Thu, Jun 25, 2009 at 5:12 PM, Lothar Frommhold
<ecs-t6x@2rosenthals.com> wrote:
Hello to everyone:

I need to install OS/2-eCS2.0 (RC6a) and Ubuntu (or rather the Kubuntu variety) on a T61p. Does someone in this newsgroup have some experience? I wonder what one should do:

1. Try to multi-boot Kubuntu and eCS? Would this work?
2. Install Kubuntu and run eCS in a virtual machine as a guest? (64 bit VMWare 4.0 supports OS/2 4.51)
3. Install VMWare and run Kubuntu and eCs as guests? (The T61p processor is a T9300, ready to support virtual machines.)

If someone knows of a "how-to" to do any of the three choices above, could you please let me know? Any help or clue you might be able to give is appreciated!

Lothar

--
Chuck McKinnis
1449 State Highway 14 N