From: "Andy Willis" <ecs-t6x@2rosenthals.com> Full Headers
Undecoded message
Subject: Re: [eCS T60/T61] question about installing OS/2 and Ubuntu ona T61p
Date: Fri, 26 Jun 2009 07:35:52 -0600

Lewis G Rosenthal wrote:
On Thu, 25 Jun 2009 21:17:47 -0400 (EDT)
 "Julian Thomas" <ecs-t6x@2rosenthals.com> wrote:
On Thu, 25 Jun 2009 23:31:03 +0100 Gerry Prosser wrote:

I recommend using Boot Manager and GRUB, but contrary to what Lewis
has said, I would NOT put GRUB in the /boot partition. That way seems
to lead to disaster and inability to boot the ECS installation CD let
alone ECS itself, just as Andy says. Don't even bother creating a
/boot partition.

Not sure what the problem is with that.

Do the partitioning with eCS and install Boot Manager and then eCS.
Then install Ubuntu and put GRUB into the root partition.

I did this on a machine with Centos (not Ubuntu) and put grub in /boot (a separate partition). It all works very nicely.  Used DFSee to partition, installed XP, boot manager, eCS, and Centos.

Indeed, Julian. Perhaps it is distro-specific? In my experience, I can typically put GRUB anywhere *except* the MBR, as long as it can find grub.conf (which of course, is GRUB's Achilles' Heel: the fact that it must rely upon a configuration file located elsewhere in the filesystem(s), vs BM's more compact approach).

Currently on my test system (not a T61, BTW), the only distros which are giving me boot problems are SLES 9 and OpenSolaris. OES2/Linux seems happy (based on SLES 10), openSuSE 11 seems fine (still getting used to that KDE 4 stuff, but that's a matter for a different list!), and CentOS 4 seems okay. Other OSes on the box include W2K, XP, and of course, eCS 2.0 RC6.

I've never had the opportunity to play with Ubuntu or Kubuntu, so perhaps there's some difference between your version and Gerry's. As I said before, I'm mainly a SuSE guy these days - when it comes to *nix, at least - and I was speaking from that experience.

Cheers/2, all.

SuSE installed Grub fine in the Ubuntu partition as Debian did.  For Ubuntu I had it throw an error (don't recall what it was but I had it happen at each install).  I could force the Grub install but then it wouldn't boot Ubuntu (eCS was fine at this point).  Finally after reading about many issues with Ubuntu and Grub installation I decided to try creating its own partition which worked out well.  Unfortunately, it was at this stage that eCS quit working.  I then got to thinking and hid partitions via dfsee from eCS and now it is booting fine.  I know I hid /grub, I don't recall if I also hid the other Ubuntu partitions.
Ubuntu partitions here... /, /swap, /grub.  I've always read that having /home and such on different partitions was a good thing but the default of the installations appeared to not be doing it and figured I had no idea how big I should set anything to so chose the single partition with a separate swap (which it either required or at least did encourage during the install of Debian - which was the first I installed and never removed the /swap).  The /grub was only because I could not get grub to install in /,