From: "Lothar Frommhold" <ecs-t6x@2rosenthals.com> Full Headers
Undecoded message
Subject: Re: [eCS T60/T61] multibooting eCS and Ubuntu on a T6x
Date: Mon, 20 Jul 2009 11:07:33 -0500

Many thanks for all the help received! Over the weekend I tried Gerry's detailed procedure, which went smoothly, except I still cannot boot Ubuntu. What did I miss? See details below, interspersed with Gerry's instructions.

Gerry Prosser wrote:
Lothar ... this should not be difficult provided you steer clear of Vista ...\

===>I shall never again touch Vista.

1. start with a clean harddisk and boot from the eCS disk
2. install boot manager
2 create 2 further primary partitions for eCS and Ubuntu - don't think
it matters in which order,but I would put Ubuntu first (I trust OS/2
to behave better in the upper reaches of the disk)
3. format eCS partition with JFS and install eCS

===>All of the above went smoothly. I use the IBM boot manager and created a single one 200 GB primary partition for Ubuntu, besides another primary partition for eCS, along with a few logical partitions for use with eCS (maintenance, data storage, and work area).

4. install Ubuntu from the 9.04 64-bit distro using the graphical
installer. Do NOT use the alternate installer as Grub will overwrite
the MBR since it will think it is the only OS present.

===>o.k. (except Ubuntu proper does not offer a 64-bit version; Kubuntu and other flavors do. So I installed for now the Ubuntu 32-bit version.)

5. choose manual partitioning
6. specify the Ubuntu partition to be '/' (root)and suggest you format
it with EXT3

===>done, but the Ubuntu installer complained that I made no provision for the swap partition, which then could not be installed in that single 200 GB partition I had set aside for Ubuntu. Obviously, in my next installation attempt, I need to use something like a 190 GB primary partition for Ubuntu proper and a 10 GB or so swap partition.) However, I am told that for the time being I could continue without a swap partition.

(don't use JFS thinking it is the same as ours, 'cos it
isn't, and IBM seems to have ditched it too)
7. note which partition (in linux terms) you are installing to -
probably /dev/sda2
8.look carefully at the screens for an 'Advanced' push-button in the
bottom right corner. Click it.
9. that will give you the Grub set-up screen- tell it the partition
name you noted at (7)

===>did that o.k.

10. installation should then procede to a successful conclusion 8-)

===>It did. However, after a reboot, I could only boot to eCS, not to Ubuntu. My attempts to somehow include the Ubuntu partition in the boot manager failed. How does one do that?

Good luck!

In short, basically, the whole procedure seems to work pretty much as intended, except that in the end, one cannot boot to Ubuntu; the eCS part worked fine. I think that perhaps Grub may need its own partition, which must be accessible to the IBM boot manager? Any help you may be able to suggest would be appreciated.

Lothar