From: "Lewis G Rosenthal" <ecs-t6x@2rosenthals.com> Full Headers
Undecoded message
Subject: OT: APM and kernel tyes (was: Re: [eCS T60/T61] Installing rc7 on T61)
Date: Tue, 01 Sep 2009 17:27:06 -0400

Hi, Chuck...

On 08/31/09 11:38 pm, Chuck McKinnis thus wrote :
Jon wrote:
On Mon, 31 Aug 2009 19:53:33 -0600 Chuck McKinnis wrote:

If you plan to use SMP, do not install APM.

Chuck:

So IIRC, under advanced install, APM is selected by default and ACPI is not.  Am I correct in understanding you are recommending unselecting APM at this point in the pre-install screen?

Thanks, Jon

Absolutely.  The SMP kernel, which was developed for Warp Server, never expected to be suspended or throttled.  Pasha is working on a patch, but I don't think it is complete yet.

Any idea whether the UNI kernel includes APM support, Chuck, and whether the UNI kernel might be lacking something which ACPI would want in order to enable SMP? I have been running the UNI kernel on my T43 for a long time, APM works, and it suspends (no ACPI!!). I'm just curious as to whether that m8ght fast track the APM support under SMP for the T60/61, T400/500, related systems, and some desktops.

TIA

Need a managed Wi-Fi hotspot?                www.hautspot.com
Secure, stable, operating system          www.ecomstation.com