From: "Jon" <ecs-t6x@2rosenthals.com> Full Headers
Undecoded message
Subject: Re: [eCS T60/T61] Installing rc7 on T61
Date: Fri, 04 Sep 2009 11:50:16 -0700 (PDT)

On Fri, 04 Sep 2009 11:44:23 -0400 Lewis G Rosenthal wrote:

>You wouldn't see anything in there on the client machine, even if you
>had a dozen DHCP servers on your network.

Right, but I looked on the other 2 boxes (both os/2) and the xp machines aren't running a dhcp service.

>I did not know that you were running OS/2 as your bastion server and not
>another appliance (D-Link, LinkSys, Belkin, etc.). So, do you mean that
>you're not running the DHCP Server service on that OS/2 box? Just trying
>to get a clear picture, here.

I didn't *think* so, until I remembered that IJFW includes dhcp service as an option....and look at that!  There it is!
<blush>.  This spring I moved into a fixer-upper (after 26 yrs at my prior house!) and have my network sort of half-a** cobbled
together (ethernet cables taped across the floor, etc), and stuff added in fits & starts (like the linksys).  Mostly we are
still living out of cardboard boxes and suitcases here while we paint, fix, plant, and remodel.  So somewhere way back, before
I set up the linksys, I activated the dhcp on IJFW to get my son online.  Later on I added the linksys and forgot that it was
the dhcp provider at my prior residence.

So there it is, you were sooo correct.  The linksys service is now disabled and the boot proceeds normally.

>> Hmmm, I never noticed a problem with my 940k hosts file when I used xwLan under rc6a and static IP.  But I didn' t use that
option you
>> mentioned either.  Glad to hear Christian is working on a new version.
>>

>As soon as I flipped that option off, the problem disappeared. That's
>when it all made sense. :-)  It turned out that Christian had never
>tested against a hosts file anywhere near the size(s) of ours.

I forgot to mention that I was running that hosts file as a poor-man's ad blocker (and I'm sure you are doing that to some
extent also).  Last month I read good things about the FF add-on, ad-blocker.  I had tried this in the past and had problems.
I tried it again and have been satisfied, so I have downsized my hosts file to just my local network.  It's working well so
far, but I didn't delete that hosts file for future use.

>And those are all DHCP? I just can't figure out where a bogus gateway
>address is creeping into your configuration the first time 'round.

That bogus gateway is no more :-)

Now I can start thinking about getting the wireless setup...oh joy...

Have a good holiday weekend,
I'll be digging, mowing, & painting.

jon