From: "Lewis G Rosenthal" <ecs-t6x@2rosenthals.com> Full Headers
Undecoded message
Subject: Re: [eCS T60/T61] Installing rc7 on T61
Date: Fri, 04 Sep 2009 15:22:59 -0400

On 09/04/09 02:50 pm, Jon thus wrote :
On Fri, 04 Sep 2009 11:44:23 -0400 Lewis G Rosenthal wrote:

You wouldn't see anything in there on the client machine, even if you had a dozen DHCP servers on your network.

Right, but I looked on the other 2 boxes (both os/2) and the xp machines aren't running a dhcp service.

XP (other than Server 2K3 ) does not natively provide a DHCP server (only a client).
I did not know that you were running OS/2 as your bastion server and not another appliance (D-Link, LinkSys, Belkin, etc.). So, do you mean that you're not running the DHCP Server service on that OS/2 box? Just trying to get a clear picture, here.

I didn't *think* so, until I remembered that IJFW includes dhcp service as an option....and look at that!  There it is!  <blush>.
LOL!
This spring I moved into a fixer-upper (after 26 yrs at my prior house!) and have my network sort of half-a** cobbled together (ethernet cables taped across the floor, etc), and stuff added in fits & starts (like the linksys).  Mostly we are still living out of cardboard boxes and suitcases here while we paint, fix, plant, and remodel.  So somewhere way back, before I set up the linksys, I activated the dhcp on IJFW to get my son online.  Later on I added the linksys and forgot that it was the dhcp provider at my prior residence.

:-)
So there it is, you were sooo correct.  The linksys service is now disabled and the boot proceeds normally.

Sounds great. It should also work if you disable the IJFW DHCP server and turn the LinkSys back on. As long as you only have *one* DHCP server on a given subnet (or serving a specific range of IP's, e.g., one serving addresses .50 - .100 and another doing .101 - .150), you should be just fine.
Hmmm, I never noticed a problem with my 940k hosts file when I used xwLan under rc6a and static IP.  But I didn' t use that
option you
mentioned either.  Glad to hear Christian is working on a new version.

As soon as I flipped that option off, the problem disappeared. That's when it all made sense. :-)  It turned out that Christian had never tested against a hosts file anywhere near the size(s) of ours.

I forgot to mention that I was running that hosts file as a poor-man's ad blocker (and I'm sure you are doing that to some extent also).  Last month I read good things about the FF add-on, ad-blocker.  I had tried this in the past and had problems.  I tried it again and have been satisfied, so I have downsized my hosts file to just my local network.  It's working well so far, but I didn't delete that hosts file for future use.

I continue to use my hosts file in addition to anything else I may have. I get my hosts entries from http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/ .
And those are all DHCP? I just can't figure out where a bogus gateway address is creeping into your configuration the first time 'round.

That bogus gateway is no more :-)

Great!
Now I can start thinking about getting the wireless setup...oh joy...

LOL!!
Have a good holiday weekend, I'll be digging, mowing, & painting.

You, too, buddy. Enjoy your time outdoors. I need to get out of here and finish cutting up a tree which came down a couple months ago in the back yard. It was an apple tree my dad and I planted 35(?) years ago, so it's a sad task (and naturally, I keep stalling it off).

Right now, though, I'm going to go play hooky for the rest of the afternoon and take my girls on a bike ride. :-)

Need a managed Wi-Fi hotspot?                www.hautspot.com
Secure, stable, operating system          www.ecomstation.com