From: "Lewis G Rosenthal" <ecs-t6x@2rosenthals.com> Full Headers
Undecoded message
Subject: Re: [eCS T60/T61] Installing rc7 on T61
Date: Mon, 14 Sep 2009 00:59:54 -0400

On 09/14/09 12:16 am, Jon thus wrote :
On Thu, 03 Sep 2009 22:46:54 -0400 Lewis G Rosenthal wrote:

I rarely have DHCP issues under OS/2.

Having used static IP all these years with a hosts file defining which host has which IP I now find that with dhcp on my T61 I cannot determine this info.

When using dhcp is there an easy way to determine which host has the IP?

Lucky for you, you're using OS/2. :-)

host <hostname> <Enter>

This works on Linux, as well (naturally), but not on Windows (naturally).

Note that likely doing this on your own machine (looking up your own hostname) will result in a 127.0.0.1 response, as loopback replies first. :-)

Alternatively, you may query your local DNS box (many DHCP-serving "routers" do local DNS), by using either nslookup or dig (you can get a recent build of dig from Hobbes; Ian Manners built the one I'm using).

A handy nslookup routine, again assuming you have a local DNS server, is:

nslookup <Enter>
> ls -d <mydomain> <Enter>

which should return a list of all records on the specified domain (assuming the server will allow the lookup; don;t expect to get a friendly reply, for example when running the above against google.com). You need to have a local domain name configured in the box for this to work, however, or it will not understand the -d request. That is, unless I have the ability to set a domain name (such as "myhome") in the box, I can't ask it to return the addresses for the local domain (because the domain won't be local to *it*). Sorry to talk in so many circles; it's like describing a painting: sometimes, you've just gotta see it.

HTH

Need a managed Wi-Fi hotspot?                www.hautspot.com
Secure, stable, operating system          www.ecomstation.com