From: "Jon" <ecs-t6x@2rosenthals.com> Full Headers
Undecoded message
Subject: Re: [eCS T60/T61] Installing rc7 on T61
Date: Sun, 13 Sep 2009 22:41:07 -0700 (PDT)

On Mon, 14 Sep 2009 00:59:54 -0400 Lewis G Rosenthal wrote:

>Alternatively, you may query your local DNS box (many DHCP-serving
>"routers" do local DNS), by using either nslookup or dig

Lewis:

Thanks for HOSTS tip.

I'm not using local DNS.  My dhcp is from IJFW, where the dhcp server supplies the dns that I
input, so technically, I guess I could run BIND and point to that (more effort than I wish to make
so probably never will install Bind).  I just point to my ISP's DNS.

With static IP, the connections log of IJFW translates the ip to the hostname from the HOSTS file.
Apparently I can't do something similar with dhcp.  Since there are so few hosts here it really
doesn't matter, I was curious because I figured a large organization reviewing log files might want
to know which host assigned a specific IP.

>You need to have a local domain name configured in the box for this to work, however, or it will
>not understand the -d request.

Explains why I never had much luck when I played with dig.  ;-)

jon