From: "Lewis G Rosenthal" <ecs-t6x@2rosenthals.com> Full Headers
Undecoded message
Subject: Re: [eCS T60/T61] Installing rc7 on T61
Date: Mon, 14 Sep 2009 08:39:59 -0400

Hey, Jon...

On 09/14/09 01:41 am, Jon thus wrote :
On Mon, 14 Sep 2009 00:59:54 -0400 Lewis G Rosenthal wrote:

Alternatively, you may query your local DNS box (many DHCP-serving "routers" do local DNS), by using either nslookup or dig

Lewis:

Thanks for HOSTS tip.

I'm not using local DNS.  My dhcp is from IJFW, where the dhcp server supplies the dns that I input, so technically, I guess I could run BIND and point to that (more effort than I wish to make so probably never will install Bind).  I just point to my ISP's DNS.

Right. I forgot that you were using IJFW.
With static IP, the connections log of IJFW translates the ip to the hostname from the HOSTS file.  Apparently I can't do something similar with dhcp.  Since there are so few hosts here it really doesn't matter, I was curious because I figured a large organization reviewing log files might want to know which host assigned a specific IP.

That's true. In my setups, I either query the DNS as I described, or just throw in the towel and use the management tools available (there is a Java-based configuration utility for Novell DNS and DHCP, and there is the web-based iManager; either of which will list assigned hosts).
You need to have a local domain name configured in the box for this to work, however, or it will not understand the -d request.

Explains why I never had much luck when I played with dig.  ;-)

:-)  Certainly not for your local network. However, dig is the preferred way of querying outside sources (nslookup is considered deprecated, although M$ continues to use it).

Need a managed Wi-Fi hotspot?                www.hautspot.com
Secure, stable, operating system          www.ecomstation.com