From: "Lewis G Rosenthal" <ecs-t6x@2rosenthals.com> Full Headers
Undecoded message
Subject: OT: Network tools (was: Re: [eCS T60/T61] Installing rc7 on T61)
Date: Wed, 07 Oct 2009 21:35:45 -0400

Another late one. Geez, how did I miss these?

On 09/14/09 01:05 pm, Jon Harrison thus wrote :
On Mon, 14 Sep 2009 08:39:59 -0400 Lewis G Rosenthal wrote:

That's true. In my setups, I either query the DNS as I described, or just throw in the towel and use the management tools available (there is a Java-based configuration utility for Novell DNS and DHCP, and there is the web-based iManager; either of which will list assigned hosts).

Are you doing this w/ os/2?  Last I knew many of the nifty little apps didn't work w/ OS/2.
It's been several years since I gave up on Netware and no longer run it here so I've lost touch.

The DNS/DHCP management utility does not run under OS/2, as it requires some modules from Client32, the Windows client. I haven't tried to run it under Linux.

iManager runs perfectly well under OS/2 (Firefox or SeaMonkey), with the sole exception of installing drivers for iPrint, but this is normal (it requires IE to install Windows drivers, and the Windows platform used must match the drivers being installed, so it's not possible to install W2K drivers from XP and vice-versa).

As I have Citrix boxes available as well as VirtualBox, I just run the DNS/DHCP management console from a Windows session.
Explains why I never had much luck when I played with dig.  ;-)

:-)  Certainly not for your local network. However, dig is the preferred way of querying outside sources (nslookup is considered deprecated, although M$ continues to use it).

The required syntax always gave me trouble, I didn't use it enough to get it down pat.

Like anything else, it takes practice.
Maybe I better look at it again sometime.

:-)  Here's a link to give you a leg up:

http://www.madboa.com/geek/dig/

Need a managed Wi-Fi hotspot?                www.hautspot.com
Secure, stable, operating system          www.ecomstation.com