From: "Lewis G Rosenthal" <ecs-t6x@2rosenthals.com> Full Headers
Undecoded message
Subject: Re: [eCS T60/T61] Question about T60 models
Date: Tue, 03 Nov 2009 12:56:54 -0500

Hi, Neil... Welcome to the fun.

On 11/03/09 10:37 am, Neil Waldhauer thus wrote :
Hi Everybody. I finally joined this list because I'm going to buy a T60 and see
what it's like. I'd like some advice about which T60 to select.

Disclaimer: The T61 is a much more mature platform than the T60, which was the first "Lenovo" design. Early T60's were *only* officially compatible with Windows (later, supposedly, IBM requested/advised/ordered(?) Lenovo to make the T60 more friendly for Linux, based upon the number of large customers they (IBM) had running Linux and needing mobile machines...

The second generation of T60's officially supported Linux, and these were the ones with the Intel video, BTW.
First, there is the question of the display adapter. I see that the T60 comes
with four possible adapters, the Intel 950, ATI X1300, ATI X1400 and ATI Fire
GL. I know from previous experience that the Intel 950 runs under SNAP really
well, and the ATI FireGL really poorly. I am guessing that the ATI X1300 and
X1400 are pretty poor, too. Is that right?

Indeed, you have hit the nail on the head. The ATI chipsets were (are?) even a headache for Linux, as ATI did not (AFAIK) release any details for third party driver development on them.
So my question -- can I expect to get USB and sound to work properly? Do the
net cards work as expected?

Yes, at this point, USB, audio, and network (including wireless) should be functional. The Intel wired NIC suffers from the "invisible MAC address" issue, so it may or may not be happy with all switches and routers.

That said, I am much more familiar with the T61 series, as my wife has one. Several others on this list, however, do indeed run T60's on a daily basis.
If there is a FAQ or an archive for this group, please let me know.

Web archives are available here: http://lists.2rosenthals.com/ecs-t6x/List.html
I will let you know how it goes once I get my T60.

Good luck!

Need a managed Wi-Fi hotspot?                www.hautspot.com
Secure, stable, operating system          www.ecomstation.com