From: "Andy Willis" <ecs-t6x@2rosenthals.com> Full Headers
Undecoded message
Subject: Re: [eCS T60/T61] T60 runs pretty hot
Date: Sat, 23 Jan 2010 19:40:15 -0700

Chuck McKinnis wrote:
Neil Waldhauer wrote:
I want to thank the people on this list who helped me get my T60
running. I
like it so much that it is now my primary computer running through a
USB KVM
and connected to a 24 inch monitor.

I recently installed the NeoWPS object reactor temperature widget, and
I can
see the temperature of the CPU. It runs in the range of 70-80 C, which
I feel
is too hot. The hard drive runs at 30-40 C, which I feel is OK.

I saw a posting by Andy Willis on OS2World

http://www.os2world.com/forum/index.php?topic=1434.0

in which he posted code to keep his computer cooler. Is anyone using
this? I'm
contemplating extending his work.

Does anyone else do something about running hot for these computers?

Neil

Most are probably using:
<http://hobbes.nmsu.edu/h-search.php?sh=1&button=Search&key=cpuspeed&stype=all&sort=type_name&dir=%2F>
I had had some kind of problems trying to use it but most seem to be able to use it.
It didn't have source code so I couldn't work with it.  It directly interacts with the acpi.psd whereas mine uses the executables that come with acpi.  Your more than welcome to work with my code but using the acpi toolkit may be more productive.
<http://fr.ecomstation.ru/projects/developer/>
I actually got a fan replacement under warranty for my T61 when it went
belly up. I wonder if there may be some quality issues with the fans in
the T6x models?

We have quite a number of T60s and T61s at work and have very few fan failures.  R400s we have a lot of issues with.
Andy