From: "Lewis G Rosenthal" <ecs-t6x@2rosenthals.com> Full Headers
Undecoded message
Subject: Re: [eCS T60/T61] T60 runs pretty hot
Date: Mon, 25 Jan 2010 23:22:43 -0500

Hey, Neil...

On 01/25/10 04:58 pm, Neil Waldhauer thus wrote :
On Mon, 25 Jan 2010 14:38:03 -0500, "Lewis G Rosenthal"
<ecs-t6x@2rosenthals.com> wrote:

I have a couple X60's and X61's in the field, and those seem to be doing okay in terms of fan noise & proper speed throttling (under XP; I've never even attempted eCS on one of those models!). I also have a relatively fresh build (XP) on an SL400, so we'll see if that has a similar fan experience to the R400's (although that model seems to have some other issues with it).

I, too have an X60. After the success with the T60, I grabbed an X60, because
that would really be a perfect laptop for me. But even though XP runs just
fine, eCS shuts the machine down after a few minutes. I didn't know why it
shuts down, but I bet it is a problem with heating.

Could be. You'd think that if it were some OS incompatibility, it wouldn't boot at all. Still, there's not as much room for airflow in such a tight case as th X series, and if we don't have adequate control over the fan, I would expect it to get hot and shut itself off.
I fixed it a different way, after seaching open tickets on eComStation.com. I
switched to the W4 kernel. I lose one CPU, but the machine runs normally. (But
still have bad system sounds, like some T60 users on this list.)

How about OS2APIC? Any luck with that and SMP?
I wonder if the T60 would run cooler with the W4 kernel. It's too bad to run
only one CPU, but I would be satisfied with good eCS stability with only one
CPU. I may go back to the X60 and try SMP with cpuspeed, because cpuspeed is
still working well on my T60.

I suppose if you ran only one core on the T60 it would run cooler. It makes sense, at least.

Need a managed Wi-Fi hotspot?                www.hautspot.com
visit my IT blog                www.2rosenthals.net/wordpress