From: "Lewis G Rosenthal" <ecs-t6x@2rosenthals.com> Full Headers
Undecoded message
Subject: Re: [eCS T60/T61] T60 hangs in eCS boot
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 2010 22:40:01 -0400

Hi, Julian...

On 09/16/10 09:45 pm, Julian Thomas thus wrote :
On Thu, 16 Sep 2010 21:34:39 -0400 (EDT) Carl Gehr wrote:

You might also try booting to a Command Line just to see if it will
boot.  If so, then just shutdown and retry the full eCS.

I did boot to a cmd line, but may not have retried after that.

Just did - success- even on the maint part - was it just because the machine was shut off for a few hours?!

Tnx

I was going to suggest clearing the CMOS, but it's likely that leting it sit drained whatever capacitor was keeping the junk floating around live.

Whenever things like this occur, it is good practice to pull the battery & AC, press and hold the power button for 30-60 seconds (or press it repeatedly 10 times; it depends upon which tech you ask), then reassemble and power up. Alternatively, pulling the CMOS battery can do wonders, as can enabling AMT in the BIOS, power cycling, turning it off again, and power cycling, and of course, the old standby: re-seat the RAM.

That said, it appears that what you were experiencing may have been as a result of some ACPI register not getting properly reset upon exiting Windows. Carl's suggestion was a good one: be sure to do a clean power off/on between boot cycles. In your case, though, it may not have been enough without the extra delay.

Aren't these things fun? As if we don't have enough real computing issues to deal with, when they decide to take some time off without advance notice, it's really a kick. ;-)

Need a managed Wi-Fi hotspot?                www.hautspot.com
visit my IT blog                www.2rosenthals.net/wordpress