From: "Jon Harrison" <ecs-t6x@2rosenthals.com> Full Headers
Undecoded message
Subject: Re: [eCS T60/T61] Wireless vs. Cable settings
Date: Tue, 22 Apr 2008 14:16:34 -0700 (PDT)

On Tue, 22 Apr 2008 14:59:49 -0400, Lewis G Rosenthal wrote:

>Jon, could you give us some more addressing information, such as:
>
>    * IP subnet of your wired (and wireless) network(s)

192.168.1, I use a mask of 255.255.255.0

>    * Topology of your network, i.e., wired connection goes through
>      switch A to router A; wireless goes from AP A to switch B to
>      router B to router A, etc.

dsl -> os/2 firewall/gateway -> hub -> computers

                                  ->  linksys wrt54g set up as hub

>    * What IP addresses are you using for wired vs wireless? If these
>      are on the same subnet, the addresses should be different, so as
>      not to confuse arp tables built by other equipment.

The TP is assigned 192.168.1.229  - wired cat5; .230 is wireless

>Yes, I am seeing this, too, but haven't been able to nail down the
>cause. I did not see it with ACPI 3.07.

I'm using acpi 3.08.  I think I will grab 3.07 and see if that gets
me to the wps.

>What the "Add router name to DNS" option should really read is "Add AP
>name to HOSTS." This will not help you with DNS lookups at all. The fact
>that rseolv2 is getting overwritten is either a bug (I haven't tested it
>myself) or something else at play.

Well, all I have to do is activate that option and it overwrites
resolv2.  When I initially set this up it took me quite some time
to figure out what was happening.  It is probably the correct thing
to do if you are using dhcp & ddns.

>On the TCP/IP page of your profile, when you click the More TCP/IP
>Options... button, what do you have entered? If using a static IP and if
>you have nothing entered for DNS, this will delete the entry in resolv2
>(or rather, when the wired is turned off, the entry is removed, and this
>would not re-populate it - unless the correct entry is filled in).

Typing from memory, it is the gateway ip address.  Since I can't
boot at the moment I can't check that.  However, I can say that
when I turned it on this morning, w/o the wire, when I finally got
it booted (after 3 crashes) I decided to try the option box for dns
once again since all evidence pointed to not getting dns.  Before
doing this I saved the resolv2, so know that this morning I had a
fully populated resolv2.  After saving it, I checked again and it
had only 1 entry, the entry I made in the option box.

>Christian really should add more fields to allow for secondary and
>tertiary name servers to be added when using a static IP. I'll ask him
>about this.

That would be great, and it would clear up some confusion from
folks like me.

Another point, I notice that XP allows more than 3 entires.
Checking just now (booted to maintenance console) the saved version
I have has 5 entires in it.  I don't think this would be a problem,
if anything, it should ignore entries over 3 if it matters.

>What I see from eCenter is a propensity for it to exit unexpectedly. On
>my T43, I have the full Xworkplace package installed and do not see
>that. I'm not sure whether it's ACPI related, widget-related, or
>something else.

Thanks for the reply,
Jon