From: "Lewis G Rosenthal" <ecs-t6x@2rosenthals.com> Full Headers
Undecoded message
Subject: Re: [eCS T60/T61] Wireless vs. Cable settings
Date: Tue, 22 Apr 2008 18:22:09 -0400

On 04/22/08 05:16 pm, Jon Harrison thus wrote :
On Tue, 22 Apr 2008 14:59:49 -0400, Lewis G Rosenthal wrote:

Jon, could you give us some more addressing information, such as:

   * IP subnet of your wired (and wireless) network(s)

192.168.1, I use a mask of 255.255.255.0

Okay. LinkSys default.
   * Topology of your network, i.e., wired connection goes through
     switch A to router A; wireless goes from AP A to switch B to
     router B to router A, etc.

dsl -> os/2 firewall/gateway -> hub -> computers

                                  ->  linksys wrt54g set up as hub

So the WRT54G is the only switch on your network, and you have an OS/2 box serving as a bastion server connected to the DSL. This is interesting, because with a WRT54G, I would normally put that on the outside, and use it as a NAT firewall/router instead of a real computer.

So, I assume that the OS/2 box on the outside has two NICs in it and is routing traffic to the net for you. Are you running DNS on this, or is the 1.1.1.1 address something else?

   * What IP addresses are you using for wired vs wireless? If these
     are on the same subnet, the addresses should be different, so as
     not to confuse arp tables built by other equipment.

The TP is assigned 192.168.1.229  - wired cat5; .230 is wireless

This sounds fine.
Yes, I am seeing this, too, but haven't been able to nail down the cause. I did not see it with ACPI 3.07.

I'm using acpi 3.08.  I think I will grab 3.07 and see if that gets
me to the wps.

What the "Add router name to DNS" option should really read is "Add AP name to HOSTS." This will not help you with DNS lookups at all. The fact that rseolv2 is getting overwritten is either a bug (I haven't tested it myself) or something else at play.

Well, all I have to do is activate that option and it overwrites
resolv2.  When I initially set this up it took me quite some time
to figure out what was happening.  It is probably the correct thing
to do if you are using dhcp & ddns.

I'll check Trac on this before reporting to Christian, but consider the issue reported one way or another.
On the TCP/IP page of your profile, when you click the More TCP/IP Options... button, what do you have entered? If using a static IP and if you have nothing entered for DNS, this will delete the entry in resolv2 (or rather, when the wired is turned off, the entry is removed, and this would not re-populate it - unless the correct entry is filled in).

Typing from memory, it is the gateway ip address.  Since I can't
boot at the moment I can't check that.
By "gateway" are you referring to the DSL box itself or one of the NICs in the OS/2 machine on the border?
However, I can say that
when I turned it on this morning, w/o the wire, when I finally got
it booted (after 3 crashes) I decided to try the option box for dns
once again since all evidence pointed to not getting dns.  Before
doing this I saved the resolv2, so know that this morning I had a
fully populated resolv2.  After saving it, I checked again and it
had only 1 entry, the entry I made in the option box.

Interesting. The next time you encounter the trouble, try pinging some IP addresses on the net. A good one to test is one of GTE's old DNS boxes:

4.2.2.1, 4.2.2.2, or 4.2.2.3

If successful, try nslookup or dig to see if you can reach your DNS server(s).
Christian really should add more fields to allow for secondary and tertiary name servers to be added when using a static IP. I'll ask him about this.

That would be great, and it would clear up some confusion from
folks like me.

For all of us! :-)  He's a really great guy, and quite responsive to requests and suggestions.
Another point, I notice that XP allows more than 3 entires. Checking just now (booted to maintenance console) the saved version
I have has 5 entires in it.  I don't think this would be a problem,
if anything, it should ignore entries over 3 if it matters.

I used to routinely keep four or five in my resolv2. excess entries are simply ignored. The important lines are the top two (domain and first DNS).

<snip>
Thanks for the reply,
Surely!

Rosenthal & Rosenthal, LLC