From: "Andy Willis" <gnuports@2rosenthals.com> Full Headers
Undecoded message
Subject: Re: [GNU Ports] awk?
Date: Mon, 8 Jan 2018 08:01:31 -0600

Symbolic links work in the newer ash and dash.  You can also set awk=gawk.exe and configure should then find it.
Robert Kuropkat wrote:

gawk was what I was expecting to find but it kept saying it was not in
the path.  Turns out it is there but the symbolic link does not work in
bash.  Should it?  gawk.exe works from both a cmd and a bash shell.
'gawk' only works from an OS/2 cmd shell.

Generally speaking, should commands like Configure, make, etc. be run
from an OS/2 cmd shell or from a bash shell?

Robert Kuropkat

On 01/08/2018 12:37 AM, Dave Yeo wrote:
On 01/07/18 09:29 PM, Robert Kuropkat wrote:
Just checked out the perl source from NetLabs svn.  The Configure script
seems to want awk.  I don't see that available in any obvious place.

Install gawk, it's a superset of awk and should work. Hmm looking,
gawk installs a symlink to awk. Usually configure checks for the
various common versions of tools.

I may be looking in the wrong place but I've not found a wiki with build
instructions for perl.  I was assuming it would be Configure, make, make
test, make install.  I've not yet dug into the process of creating the
rpm either, but that is next.

It's been a long time since I built Perl but as I remember, it just
needs the common tools, which includes [g]awk. Configure should
continue to tell you if you're missing stuff.
Dave