From: "Steven Levine" <gnuports@2rosenthals.com> Full Headers
Undecoded message
Subject: Re: [GNU Ports] CFLAGS for rpmbuild
Date: Sun, 30 Dec 2018 22:20:17 -0800

In <list-1710005@2rosenthals.com>, on 12/31/18
   at 12:19 AM, "Lewis G Rosenthal" <gnuports@2rosenthals.com> said:

Hi Lewis,

>Still would like some input on the CFLAGS overall, however. I'm a little
>concerned about -Zhigh-mem and what I might need to do there concerning
>adding os2safe.h,

You could add  os2safe.h by default, but is not going to do anything
useful for your typical *ix app that is written to the C runtime because
the kLIBC itself is already high memory safe.

os2safe.h exists for help porting native OS/2 apps to the kLIBC world
where some of the existing code may call DOS APIs directly.  This is not
likely to happen for the run of the mill app ported from *ix.

An example of where it does happen is the Apache Web Server.  It's mostly
a kLIBC app, but it links to the Apache Runtime which is basically a
native OS/2 executable.  Unfortunately, os2safe will not help the Apache
Runtime.

>i.e., how to easily determine what is using an OS/2
>API.

The easy way is to check if the sources include os2.h.  For an existing
binary, there's lxlite -c:exemap.

The important question is when an app being ported to kLIBC does use an
OS/2 API that is not high memory safe  what is the best method to
remediate the issue.

Steven

"Steven Levine" <steve53@earthlink.net>  Warp/DIY/BlueLion etc.
www.scoug.com www.arcanoae.com www.warpcave.com