From: "Steven Levine" <gnuports@2rosenthals.com> Full Headers
Undecoded message
Subject: Re: [GNU Ports] CFLAGS for rpmbuild
Date: Mon, 31 Dec 2018 22:11:52 -0800

In <list-1710024@2rosenthals.com>, on 12/31/18
   at 01:54 AM, "Lewis G Rosenthal" <gnuports@2rosenthals.com> said:

Hi,

>This all makes sense. I was wondering how or where I might find a native
>OS/2 API poking up its head in a bunch of *ix code.

This did happen more in the past when the upstream maintainers would
accept OS/2 patches.

>This also makes sense, as it's not "all" *ix code.

This goes back to the days when the upstream APR maintainers accepted OS/2
patches.  This all happened before kLIBC existed.  Reworking the APR now
to use kLIBC rather than native OS/2 APIs would require capable developers
with the desire and time to do the work.

>Ah. So, as soon as I see a reference to os2.h, it is logical to assume
>(as  far as that gets us) that at least one OS/2 API may be in use
>(unless it's  just some old cruft which was never pulled out).

The later is unlikely.  If this did occur, the app would like have a lot
of OS/2 code with significant bit-rot.  The chances of the app building
for OS/2 without major rework is low.

>> The important question is when an app being ported to kLIBC does use an
>> OS/2 API that is not high memory safe  what is the best method to
>> remediate the issue.
>>

>Yes. My question was prompted by my reading of:

>http://trac.netlabs.org/libc/wiki/kOptions

>Perhaps that could use some sprucing up, at this point.

Since that last edits were 8 years ago, this is probably almost certain to
be true, although not stands out as no longer accurate.

Steven

"Steven Levine" <steve53@earthlink.net>  Warp/DIY/BlueLion etc.
www.scoug.com www.arcanoae.com www.warpcave.com