From: "Lewis G Rosenthal" <gnuports@2rosenthals.com> Full Headers
Undecoded message
Subject: Building privoxy - need to specify PTHREAD_LIB - why?
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2022 23:34:09 -0500

Hi, all...

I built (rather quickly, I might add) Privoxy 3.0.33, which is latest stable. I was initially stuck with a bunch of undefined symbol errors for pthread constructs, even though I did have pthread-devel installed (0.2.6-1). (And yes, -pthread was specified in LDFLAGS.)

In GNUmakefile, there is a section:

# PThreads library, if needed.
PTHREAD_LIB  =

I found that I actually had to set this to the absolute path to pthread.a, and I'm left wondering why. If pthread.a could not have been found, why didn't configure balk at that? More importantly, why wouldn't this have been locatable?

Neither LD_LIBRARY_PATH nor -Lj:/usr/lib (on the gcc command line) nor -lpthread seemed to be able to find the pthreads library.

Here's the linker command which succeeds:

gcc.exe  -pthread -o privoxy.exe actions.o cgi.o cgiedit.o cgisimple.o deanimate.o encode.o errlog.o \
 filters.o gateway.o jbsockets.o jcc.o list.o loadcfg.o loaders.o miscutil.o parsers.o ssplit.o urlmatch.o \
 client-tags.o   pcrs.o     -llibgcc -lz -lpcre -lpcreposix j:/usr/lib/pthread.a

Surely, I must be missing something very simple, here, but it is escaping me, now.

TIA