From: Lewis G Rosenthal <lgrosenthal@2rosenthals.com> Full Headers
Undecoded message
Subject: Re: [gotcha-dev] Gotcha 1.80 beta 1
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2018 02:27:24 -0500

Hi...

On 02/26/18 04:14 pm, Gregg Young wrote:
Hi

The one I sent earlier may be broken (always delete the
ini before testing). I have the wpi working including a
check for gbm. I have decided to release this as version
2.0.

Okay, as I'm not sure what the known issues are, and as I don't want to clutter the bug tracker, here's what I get:

All formats work except for raw (does not seem to produce any output, though Gotcha! beeps, and I see nothng in POPUPLOG and no TRP files.

Version strings need to be updated.

Help needs some additional adjustment to bring it in line with current functionality.

We should create a "default" -q object in the folder, and in the help reference that a shadow may be placed in Startup, or create a template in the Templates folder which may then be modified to suit (overkill?).

Gotcha!'s strange UI layout is still annoying me with Settings and Help duplicated on the window control menu, and that menu being the only way to access Program information. I dislike the availability of a standard top menu, and then all of those buttons of extraordinary size (though I realize that different languages may need the room).

English message file needs some polishing. Thorsten's English is good, but there are the typical things I see in Europeans' English writing, such as spaces before ending punctuation ("files in directory ..."). Some other phrases (including that one) could be improved. The same comment applies to the help. I'll look at these in the next few days.

Missing mnemonic: Settings button (as Screen is more properly using the S, I would suggest "t" for this

Conflicting mnemonic (almost): On the window control menu, Settings shows the S as the mnemonic but states ALT+E as the accelerator (uppercase, no less, yelling at me). Suggest that if we are going to keep these items on the menu that they match the main window, i.e., "t" - but note that I simply don't like these here, but I'll leave to you to decide.

Extra accelerator: ALT-A for Product information. I get that it's an "About" page, but it seems to me that in English, Alt-P would be the better choice on this menu.

Settings:

A proper Properties notebook should have a Default button to return the page settings (not all!) to defaults (which may not be the same as the last batch of settings, thus differentiating "default" from "undo").

Saving page:

RFE for a future revision would be a browse button to select the target directory, and another for the filename. Minor issue.

Help needs some text concerning the various image formats. I had planned to add this to Lucide's GBM plugin help. Hopefully, the same text will be useful for both. (I will do this.)

Mnemonic conflict: Force / format.

Snapshot:

"snapshot window" was a poor choice for this object because reading the help, I now understand what that annoying little square is down there. I first interpreted this to means some sort of preview window. Silly me. The object itself is kind of wonky. I don't know what it's supposed to say in it. It looks like the Language Viewer object.

Misc:

Missing mnemonic: Serial capture timer setting. I would suggest the "e" in "every" - but that's just me. Again, I can look at the message file.

Language:

This is the only settings page with a bitmap on it, which seems oddly out of character.

About panel:

Obviously, the content needs updating. the OK button is oddly sized and placed, with no mnemonic.

Why does the title of this window have to enclose Gotcha! in quotes?

<snip>

Comments on the items below tomorrow (long day).

In all, this is looking really good, now, Gregg. Thanks for your work on it. I've spoken with Rich. Hopefully, he'll get back to me shortly, too.

On Mon, 26 Feb 2018 09:39:17 -0700 (MST) Gregg
Young wrote:
Hi

Did this get through to you guys? Thanks

Gregg

On Fri, 23 Feb 2018 16:41:34 -0700 (MST) Gregg
Young
wrote:
Hi

Thanks for setting up these lists and the wiki.
Attached
is 1.80 beta 1. It has the following changes:

Removed:
Jbig
mmio code
old save and write eas code
pmprintf ;-)

Fixed:
File extension not changed on first open of file dialog
after a file format change.
Some spacing in the main window
Quiet mode responds to print screen in all cases
help file and language selection (I had broken them)

Added:
New list of file formats
GBM support for saving files
Exceptq support
Quiet mode doesn't show in windows list,
Quiet mode runs at idle.
-q and -i don't change the idle setting in the ini.
Help and settings buttons in main window
Build level strings

To do:
Resolve the GPL issue with the translations
Update the help file. I plan on just removing the
"Registration" section. I'll suggest that people email
him
thank you for developing Gotcha in the credits section
(my email and his response is below).
Create a new warpin package.
Add help and settings button to the other language
resources.
Update version etc.
Review the bugs and future development plans in the
current help (part of them fixed already)

Please add to the list as appropriate. Thanks

Gregg

Hello Gregg,

Thank you for developing Gotcha and releasing it as
GPL. I have started working on it. I have added the
generalized bitmap module to it and am building it
with
Open Watcom. I plan on putting the source on
Netlabs.

That's good to hear! I'm very happy that after all this
time
still someone finds Gotcha! useful and even decided
develop it
further!

I would be interested to see what becomes of it, so if
you find the
time to drop me a line or two sometimes on this matter
that would be
nice.

For now, I wish you good success with your work!