From: "Gregg Young" <ygk@qwest.net> Full Headers
Undecoded message
Subject: Re: [gotcha-dev] Gotcha 1.80 beta 1
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2018 12:25:06 -0700 (MST)

Hi Lewis

Thanks for the detailed feedback. I have started
updating the resources and the version.

>On 02/26/18 04:14 pm, Gregg Young wrote:
>>Hi
>>
>>The one I sent earlier may be broken (always delete
the
>>ini before testing). I have the wpi working including a
>>check for gbm. I have decided to release this as
version
>>2.0.
>>

>Okay, as I'm not sure what the known issues are, and
as
>I don't want to clutter the bug tracker, here's what I get:
>
>All formats work except for raw (does not seem to
>produce any output, though Gotcha! beeps, and I see
>nothng in POPUPLOG and no TRP files.

This is the same problem as with gif and pbm. It is a
GBM limitation. I will simply remove raw as there really
isn't a need for all these formats for a screen capture
utility. If someone want one of these missing formats in
the future I can look at it then.

>Version strings need to be updated.

Mostly done.

>Help needs some additional adjustment to bring it in
line
>with current functionality.

I committed the changes I have made to the help. Let
me know if you want to do this or want me to.

>We should create a "default" -q object in the folder,
and
>in the help reference that a shadow may be placed in
>Startup, or create a template in the Templates folder
>which may then be modified to suit (overkill?).

I will add the -q object. A template is probably overkill.

>Gotcha!'s strange UI layout is still annoying me with
>Settings and Help duplicated on the window control
>menu, and that menu being the only way to access
>Program information. I dislike the availability of a
>standard top menu, and then all of those buttons of
>extraordinary size (though I realize that different
>languages may need the room).

I added the Settings and help buttons for comment. I
don't like these items on the sys menu either. I wanted
some feed back. I could put 4 buttons at the bottom:
Settings Close About Help
If we do that we need to decide on order. I can also
remove the buttons and leave this stuff on the menu.

I did try it with border less buttons for the capture
options which gives a much plainer look.

>English message file needs some polishing. Thorsten's
>English is good, but there are the typical things I see in
>Europeans' English writing, such as spaces before
ending
>punctuation ("files in directory ..."). Some other phrases
>(including that one) could be improved. The same
>comment applies to the help. I'll look at these in the
next
>few days.

I committed the changes I have made to the dialogues.

>Missing mnemonic: Settings button (as Screen is more
>properly using the S, I would suggest "t" for this

Note the main window doesn't automatically pick up
mnemonics as it is a WINDOW not a DIALOG. (I had to
update WRC to get it to work.) While the ~ is translated
into an underline you need to add the ALT+ whatever to
the accel table for it to actually work.

>Conflicting mnemonic (almost): On the window control
>menu, Settings shows the S as the mnemonic but
states
>ALT+E as the accelerator (uppercase, no less, yelling
at
>me). Suggest that if we are going to keep these items
on
>the menu that they match the main window, i.e., "t" -
but
>note that I simply don't like these here, but I'll leave to
>you to decide.

I fixed this it is now ALT+e. I still favor losing the menu
items. The menu stuff is in mainwin.cpp.

>Extra accelerator: ALT-A for Product information. I get
>that it's an "About" page, but it seems to me that in
>English, Alt-P would be the better choice on this menu.

It is now ALT+a but I think ALT+F1 also works on the
version you have.

>Settings:
>
>A proper Properties notebook should have a Default
>button to return the page settings (not all!) to defaults
>(which may not be the same as the last batch of
>settings, thus differentiating "default" from "undo").

What do you mean not all?

>Saving page:
>
>RFE for a future revision would be a browse button to
>select the target directory, and another for the
filename.
>Minor issue.

OK

>Help needs some text concerning the various image
>formats. I had planned to add this to Lucide's GBM
>plugin help. Hopefully, the same text will be useful for
>both. (I will do this.)

OK

>Mnemonic conflict: Force / format.
>
>Snapshot:
>
>"snapshot window" was a poor choice for this object
>because reading the help, I now understand what that
>annoying little square is down there. I first interpreted
>this to means some sort of preview window. Silly me.
>The object itself is kind of wonky. I don't know what it's
>supposed to say in it. It looks like the Language Viewer
>object.

It says Snap!. I now see how it works but don't really see
the point. If it is set to "window" when you click on it you
get the same behavior as pushing the window button on
the main window. You can size and move it. It might
make sense as an XCenter widget.

>Misc:
>
>Missing mnemonic: Serial capture timer setting. I would
>suggest the "e" in "every" - but that's just me. Again, I
>can look at the message file.
>
>Language:
>
>This is the only settings page with a bitmap on it, which
>seems oddly out of character.
>
>About panel:
>
>Obviously, the content needs updating. the OK button
is
>oddly sized and placed, with no mnemonic.
>
>Why does the title of this window have to enclose
>Gotcha! in quotes?

I will redo the about dialog and fix the mnemonics.

><snip>
>
>Comments on the items below tomorrow (long day).
>
>In all, this is looking really good, now, Gregg. Thanks for
>your work on it. I've spoken with Rich. Hopefully, he'll
get
>back to me shortly, too.

Thanks

Gregg

>>On Mon, 26 Feb 2018 09:39:17 -0700 (MST) Gregg
>>Young wrote:
>>>Hi
>>>
>>>Did this get through to you guys? Thanks
>>>
>>>Gregg
>>>
>>>On Fri, 23 Feb 2018 16:41:34 -0700 (MST) Gregg
>>Young

>>Attached

dialog

>>him