From: "Gregg Young" <ygk@qwest.net> Full Headers
Undecoded message
Subject: Re: [gotcha-dev] Gotcha 2.0 Beta 4 wpi
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2018 13:33:18 -0600 (MDT)

Hi

>Sorry I didn't get back to you on beta 3

Not a problem.

, so here's a
>double-dose
>of ..umm.. commentary. All comments pertain to
>gotchaq.

>Layout
>------
>* 'Gotcha Main' is in System Proportional, everything
else
>is WarpSans

>* the notebook has a margin on the left side but runs
up
>to the edge
>of the right side - IMHO, it's better to squeeze the
>dialogs slightly
>and center the notebook than to increase the overall
>window size
>
>* pretty much every groupbox and its contents could
use
>some tweaking
>to make things look vertically balanced. In particular:
>  - 'Image file format' is too big, 'Other options' too small
>  - the contents of 'Capture type' and 'Delayed capture'
>need
>    to be moved down, while the contents of 'Serial
>capture'
>    should be moved up slightly
>
>* two of the groupbox labels on 'Gotcha Main' have
>elipsis(es);
>neither opens another window so they should be
>removed
>
>* changing the label of 'Capture type' to 'Default
capture'
>would
>be more informative - I almost added a comment about
>"what happened
>to my default capture options?".
>
>* notebook tabs:
>  - 'Gotcha' rather than 'Gotcha Main' would suffice - it
is
>the
>    first page, after all
>  - given that everything on the 'Misc' page refers to
>capture
>    options, wouldn't 'Capture' be a better label?
>  - somehow, the options on the 'Misc/Capture' tab
seem
>    "more important" than the 'Saving' options - I'd make
it
>page 2
>
>Functionality / Design
>----------------------
>* a naked 'Close' button gives the impression that it
>closes the
>window rather than terminating the app. It needs a
>groupbox with a
>meaningful label like "Terminate Gotcha!". The button
>should also
>be more explicit, perhaps 'Exit'.
>
>* why is there a 'Default' button? Or put another way,
>why would I
>want to use the author's preferences when they
probably
>aren't the
>same as mine? There's nothing tricky or mission-critical
>here that
>requires the author's expert knowledge.
>
>* why is there an 'About' button - doesn't the help tell
>you that?
>
>* why is there a 'Language' tab - shouldn't this be
>determined
>automatically based on the LANG environment
variable?

>* why isn't there a (forgive me for putting it this way) 'X'
>button
>on the titlebar?
>
>* could you make the cancellation sound a little
>shorter/less annoying?
>
>* I still need to make PMPrintf available to run the app.

:-( sorry

>* Does the install location for the app have to be
>hard-coded?

It isn't. While it defaults to x:\sys\app\Gotcha on ArcaOS
that is freely changeable unless Gotcha is already
installed there. It is actually installing to the default
warpin tools directory so on eCS it would be
x:\Tools\Gotcha

>If this is integrated into AOS, the installer will put it in
>/sys/apps
>but if someone just downloads and installs it, they
>should be free to
>put it where they want.

I have made most all of the changes you suggested.
Take a look at the attached beta 5. I did leave the
language page and added some product info to it. See
what you think. Thanks

This email was Anti Virus checked by Astaro Security Gateway. http://www.sophos.com
Attached File:  Gotcha-2-0-0-beta5.wpi (429075 bytes)