From: "Lewis" <gotcha-dev@2rosenthals.com> Full Headers
Undecoded message
Subject: Re: [gotcha-dev] Gotcha 2.0.1 RC 2
Date: Tue, 20 Jul 2021 19:26:17 -0400

Hi, Gregg...

On 07/17/21 02:40 pm, Gregg Young wrote:
Hi

Attached is Gotcha 2.0.1 RC 2. I have an RC 1 which I don't think I released but... This release includes the following changes:
1. Uses unicode to list all the program languages correctly in their own language.
2. Language is now set from the LANG environment variable unless it is overridden. It can only be overridden in Gotcha as the language is no longer selectible in Gotcha Quiet.
3. Help language is no longer separately selectible and is set based on the program language.
4. Added Spanish translation from Alfredo.
5. Clean up of settings dialog and documentation.
6. Added some hard coded errors to the string table.
7. #ifdef out more code not used by Gotcha Quiet.
8. Add -i switch to Gotcha Quiet for use from RO media during AOS install. It suppresses the ini error messages,  sets the save directory to z:\ and sets the file save type to numbered files (that are 8.3 format).

Give it a try. Hopefully, no (or at least not many new bugs). Thanks

Setting aside the expected requirement for pmprintf.dll in a test build, Gotcha Quiet still seems to want to find *some* ini file, even if that file is 0-length, otherwise it will throw an error for the missing file. It also displays an opening splash when the error is dismissed, requiring OK to proceed. Is this intentional?

Now, is the save directory hardcoded to z:? This can't be. I would suggest adding a parameter to specify the save directory. This way, we could do something like:

\sys\apps\gotcha\gotchaq -i %MEMDRIVE%:\

because we can't guarantee that Z: will always be the RAM disk (we fall back from there if Z: is not available, but the variable will always point to whatever letter was ultimately used).

Runtime Issues:

1. After a successful screen capture, Gotcha Quiet leaves the previously-focused window in the background. This is problematic in that it renders navigating the installer difficult to navigate, as it is unclear to the user that the installer is in the background.

2. Upon my 2nd PrtSc press, Gotcha Quiet prompted me for a save location. IOW:

ArcaOS installer started; I pressed PrtSc & heard the beeps
I returned focus to the installer and advanced to the license page; I pressed PrtSc & heard the beeps - and was presented with a Save screenshot to ... dialog, which defaulted to the Gotcha directory on the ISO.

I went to System Management and restarted the installer.
I pressed PrtSc & heard the beeps (no prompt)
I returned focus to the installer and advanced to the license page; I pressed PrtSc & heard the beeps - and was presented with a Save screenshot to ... dialog, which defaulted to the Gotcha directory on the ISO.

I went to System Management and deleted the saved pngs.
I pressed PrtSc & heard the beeps - and was presented with a Save screenshot to ... dialog, which defaulted to the Gotcha directory on the ISO.

Pressing Alt-PrtSc brought up the settings dialog. The Save page was set to Prompt for filename. Perhaps we are reverting to default behavior because the INI cannot be written.

Alternative:

We could put the INI on the RAM disk. This would allow the user to set it if necessary, even if it could only be used for that session. In this case -i should actually just be an option to specify the location of the INI file, which must reside on a writable volume. The default setting should be to autosave to the same location as the INI, so using our previous example:

\sys\apps\gotcha\gotchaq -i %MEMDRIVE%:\

would direct gotchaq.exe to find GOTCHAQ.INI in %MEMDRIVE%:\ and set that as the default save location. If the INI does not already exist on the RAM disk, it should be created (so we don't need to maintain and ship an extra file).