From: "Gregg Young" <lswitcher-dev@2rosenthals.com> Full Headers
Undecoded message
Subject: Re: [lswitcher-dev] lSwitcher-2-92-0-RC_12.wpi
Date: Wed, 30 Sep 2020 20:26:51 -0600 (MDT)

On Wed, 30 Sep 2020 21:44:30 -0400 Lewis wrote:

>Hi...
>
>On 09/30/20 07:17 pm, Alfredo Fernández Díaz wrote:
>>Hi Gregg,

>>>Hi Alfred
>>>
>>>The real solution would be modifying WinSetDesktopWorkArea in PMMERGE
>>>check to see if the desktop was already reduced and return an error on
>>>any subsequent call except one to restore the desktop to its original
>>>size. Of course this isn't going to happen.
>>
>>I certainly don't count on it happening, but it sounds like a pretty
>>well known thing. Hm.
>>

>Indeed. It's just another of those well known PMMERGE quirks (I say
>"quirks" vs "bugs," as there is little to no chance of ever seeing such
>things fixed). Of course, there's the DOT patch, so who knows?

The DOT issue was a major PIA. This is mildly inconvenient so no it isn't going to be fixed.

>>>We need to remember this is an undocumented call and IBM never
>>>intended
>>>for others to use it. As such it was not designed for that
>>>possibility.
>>>Just like it wasn't designed to be called with a less than full width
>>>window over the reduced area.
>>
>>I see.
>>
>>>For completeness of your planning I can
>>>probably hide the stupid desktop titlebar.
>>
>>Yes, that's probably better.
>>

>But I like to know what that "big window" is consuming my screen... :-)

Well assuming I get around to fixing this I will put in switch so you can keep the title bar;-) I am not planning on addressing this for 2.92.

>>>Probably a lot; OS/2 users aren't exactly a progressive bunch. I know
>>>one
>>>that is still using a prehistoric version of lSwitcher;-)
>>
>>You think that's prehistoric? You should see the WordPerfect macros I'm
>>writing lately ;p
>>

>:-)
>
>>Point taken, though (listening to Lewis' input as well -- I used the
>>warp 3 launcher on Warp 4 for ages, hehe).
>>

>As OS/2 users, we value our freedom of choice as opposed to whatever
>the software publishers *think* is best for us. The LaunchPad caught on
>quickly for many of us, and served us well for some time. Heck, it took
>me a long time to switch away from WarpCenter to XCenter.

>>>Fortunately they never bother to report anything. Think my breaking of
>>>all
>>>the non-English languages in 2.91 and never hearing anything about it.
>>
>>Hey, *I* reported that. Maybe not in time for 2.91, but...

>>>Am I to read this that I need to change the hotkeys again. Remember
>>>the
>>>mnemonics and hotkeys must match.
>>
>>As you probably have realized by now, no; I meant the mnemonics for
>>"Help" on the taskbar menu. So those two letters change on that menu
>>alone, and the rest is untouched.

>>>I think Quit just needs to be removed it has no advantage over close
>>>and mostly doesn't work.
>>
>>It seems to work here for *applications* (not WPS folders). I am not
>>clear on the (dis)advantages when closing programs, though, but if
>>there are none, why was it there in the first place?
>>

>I think Gregg's point is that Quit doesn't really work any better or
>worse than Close. IOW, I've never had a running process refuse to close
>but was then able to use Quit. It works, surely, but when it does, Close
>should also work, so there's no real advantage to having the extra
>option.

Exactly. While I might of added it I don't no of any good reason for it existing.

>>Having seen r13b, I think I concur with Lewis: I'd prefer a single
>>'Close' lSwitcher menu entry for folders in the taskbar (since only
>>that makes sense), but for programs, and if possible, I'd rather have a
>>'Close' submenu with the different methods. I think Dos/Sigkill look a
>>bit daunting, not being normal words and that, and it would be better
>>if at least non-tech-savvy people can tell right away they're just
>>modes of closing a task.
>>

>Exactly.

I will look at fixing this. Last change for 2.92. Thanks

Gregg