From: "Gregg Young" <lswitcher-dev@2rosenthals.com> Full Headers
Undecoded message
Subject: Re: [lswitcher-dev] lSwitcher-2-92-0-RC_12.wpi
Date: Thu, 01 Oct 2020 14:32:57 -0600 (MDT)

On Thu, 1 Oct 2020 20:25:59 +0200 Alfredo Fernández Díaz wrote:

>Hi,
>
>On 20/10/01 03:44, Lewis wrote:
>>Hi...
>>
>>On 09/30/20 07:17 pm, Alfredo Fernández Díaz wrote:
>>>Hi Gregg,
>>>
>>>On 20/09/27 20:33, Gregg Young wrote:
><snip>
>>>
>>>I certainly don't count on it happening, but it sounds like a pretty
>>>well
>>>known thing. Hm.
>>>

>>Indeed. It's just another of those well known PMMERGE quirks (I say
>>"quirks"
>>vs "bugs," as there is little to no chance of ever seeing such things
>>fixed).
>>Of course, there's the DOT patch, so who knows?
>
>Care to remind me what the DOT thing was?

While I am not 100% sure what Lewis is referring to, I am guessing this was the issue with handling files with multiple extensions (e.g. myfile.200.txt.zip).

>>>Yes, that's probably better.
>>
>>But I like to know what that "big window" is consuming my screen... :-)
>
>:-)

>>>You think that's prehistoric? You should see the WordPerfect macros
>>>I'm
>>>writing lately ;p
>>>

>>:-)
>
>No kidding (:
>https://www.wpuniverse.com/vb/showthread.php?39748-Feasibility-adding-bo
>okmarks-for-PDF-viewers-directly-to-WPDOS-PostScript-output&p=277731&vie
>wfull=1#post277731
>
>>>Point taken, though (listening to Lewis' input as well -- I used the
>>>warp 3
>>>launcher on Warp 4 for ages, hehe).
>>
>>As OS/2 users, we value our freedom of choice as opposed to whatever
>>the
>>software publishers *think* is best for us.
>
>I hear you. Actually what I was thinking about was how to make more
>programs of this kind accommodate each other better, thus widening user
>freedom of choice. Unfortunately, just like in real life, sometimes that
>may work better by restraining a few choices along the way.

Every choice is another opportunity to introduce a bug or 2:)

>>The LaunchPad caught on quickly
>>for many of us, and served us well for some time. Heck, it took me a
>>long time
>>to switch away from WarpCenter to XCenter.
>
>I liked WarpCenter (sort of), but as soon as XCenter capabilities made
>it capable of perfectly mimicking the original, it was doomed. Launchpad
>use survived much longer on my systems.

I have used XCenter pretty much since it was introduced. Same with lSwitcher.

>>>It seems to work here for *applications* (not WPS folders). I am not
>>>clear
>>>on the (dis)advantages when closing programs, though, but if there are
>>>none,
>>>why was it there in the first place?
>>
>>I think Gregg's point is that Quit doesn't really work any better or
>>worse
>>than Close. IOW, I've never had a running process refuse to close but
>>was then
>>able to use Quit. It works, surely, but when it does, Close should also
>>work,
>>so there's no real advantage to having the extra option.
>
>Except for the FireFox Close vs. Quit Andy pointed out, and possibly
>other applications sensitive to this. However, I am not big on closing
>'sensitive' applications like this from the switcher -- I know I would
>always be doing the wrong 'close'.
>
>Checking 2.61 it seems like it was always there (SC_CLOSE vs. WM_QUIT).
>Any further technical considerations on this are up to Gregg, though --
>I just can't dig enough into this within a reasonable time-frame as of
>now.

I am removing QUIT. It appears no one is sure how it is different from close in practice. I have never used it. If someone complains I will revisit it. It also appears the difference between them would be application dependent. That is it depends on if the application handles the message or passes it to the default window proc. In my experience Close is the one generally handled by the app. Thanks

Gregg